I want my bike fixed already!!! :(

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by justdug, Sep 15, 2011.

1. justdug

justdug Active Member

Hi again everyone I'm new around the forum, Just got back from a 3000mile tour around Europe where my gearbox started falling apart 10 mile from the ferry port. Thankfully I managed to get home 300miles in 3rd and 6th. Only been home 4 days and I feel so naked without having a properly running bike! :( I'd be lucky if I've done 600mile in last two years prior to the trip because of work (looking after wind turbines) but after spending so long non stop on the bike it feels like I'm missing a leg without her!

Does anyone know where I could find a good 07 cbr1000rr engine complete with gearbox? Been searching around eBay but I'm hesitant paying near £1000 for a engine all scraped with broken engine mounts and a cracked sump!

Any breakers or anywhere to source one would be great!!

At this rate I'll have to jump on my mrs 125 to get my 2wheel! lol

Cheers
    Dougie

2. fisher

fisher Active Member

You could try partfinder.com mate

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

When my 600 went in for head bearings i was told it will be ready at the end of the day and then has a phone call an hour later to say the wrong bearing had been ordered but the front end is all off so it ended up being in the workshop for 4 days .. Awesome weather made it the longest 4 days of my life .. I feel your pain man ..

I agree with Fisher here . Partfinder is good but when it directs you to a sellers website make sure you read they're policy on faulty items and check if they offer any guarantee on parts . Read small print also as some barkers say in big letters GUARANTEE on parts but in small letters underneath it says they honour the manufacturers standard warranty which in most cases has already expired

Obviously the main problem here is that an engine and or gearbox on they're own can not be heard running .. bikes do come on ebay regular advertised as being broken for parts which at least then yo can check the milage compared to an engine that has already been removed and could have been through anything in its life .

Have you had a mechanic take a look? It may not be as bad as you think and a full engine change may not be necessary ?

4. justdug

justdug Active Member

Ahh the engines a bit smokey and used about a litre of oil for my 3000mile trip was that bad all the boys tried to pass me cause it was smoking and smelling that bad needless to say i made the buggers suffer lol :) I don't mind it to much cause the power was still alright being about 162bhp at the back wheel but upgrading my 04 with a 07 engine and gearbox sounds like a perfect idea as i really do love my 04 and started feeling good with the bike the way it is handling wise so wouldnt like to change it.
    Cheers for the advice tho really helpfull as i'm the kinda guy that doesnt read the small print and just looks for the buy now button :)