If you have been injured in a crash, can I ask a serious question?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Sep 11, 2012.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

This is not me touting for business I assure you, but a genuine and serious question.

If you were involved in a non fault crash and were injured as a result, do you feel that the level of compensation was appropriate to the injuries you sustained?

And do you feel that your case was handled properly, or did you feel that you were simply a number on a conveyor belt with the intention of getting you through the system as quickly as possible so that your legal representative could get paid and they could move onto the next case.

I ask, because I am getting more and more people contacting me telling me that they have been offered X amount a few months after their crash, and the amount being offered is disproportionate to their injuries, or it is so that a quick settlement can be made, is there anything that can be done?

As a result, cases are being re-opened with a view to taking out professional negligence cases against some firms, and the level of compensation increased.

So I am interested to find out if this is something that is limited to just a few or if it is wider spread.

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Would be interested to know what people have found dealing with this.

I had a berk do a u turn in front of me a few years ago but other than a bit of damage they paid for I did not suffer any injures thank go.

3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I'm not sure whether you're talking about car or bike accidents?

I may as well share my experiences. I actually got rear-ended a few months back. First accident in 21 years of driving.

I had a bit of a sore neck but it only lasted a few days so I told my legal representative that I didn't want to pursue an PI claim. I just wanted my car fixing.

To cut a long story short my solicitor had a discussion with the other person's insurers and they offered them £1,000 for me NOT to make a claim even though I wasn't going to and they offered me a cash in lieu settlement for the car repairs of £800.

All the car needed was a new bumper bar and a polish of the bumper itself. Total cost £40

So yes I was very happy with the payout but I still think it's utter madness that I got handed £1,800 without needing it but hey......what ya gonna do.

4. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

i had an accident in Jan 2010 non fault - driver could not be identified.

Broken left Wrist, a few cracked ribs..

Case is still going on..waiting for the MIB to offer an amount and the last offer was too low..

Solicitors tells me that after giving the MIB the medical report they should offer more - so this was only done 2 weeks back! awaiting response...

5. SoonBeDead

SoonBeDead Active Member

As some of you know i was knocked of 9 years ago and was meant to die! had the lot internal injuries, coma, head injurys and was left disabled for the rest of my life (dead left leg) and the payout was pitifal and that was with a fight and a good solicitor, but i got rid of the solicitors that i had been paying for with the insurance as they were worse than useless and found my own solicitor who is now a very dear friend.

6. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Good on you for not wanting to claim .... Did that many years ago, just wanted my car sorted!!

That's what is bloody wrong is this country ... solicitors running it!! ARRRGGGHHH ... You said you didn't want PI so why were they even talking about it!! It was a simple rear end shunt ... blame accepted ... why were solicitors involved!! Maybe I'm naive

Edited to add - Sorry for the Hi-Jack!

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I got nocked of by a 86 year old man . The police charged him with dangerous driving so i thought my compensation claim was going to be pretty straight forward .

I had the full value of my bike paid to me after a week .

The compensation took a year and a half to come through . I had to keep chasing them every week for either loss of earnings , wether they had my hospital reports etc etc

I had my loss of earnings in full but the actual compensation was less than a thousand pounds . after a year and a half i couldnt be bothered to wait and keep chasing so took the second offer they made me

I was disappointed but it was in 2007 so not alot can be done now i guess