iMac any good

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Not laptops, I am looking at replacing m old desktop with a iMac. Prob 27" all singing thing. But as. Have used a pc for the past 20 years ae they worth a try?

I mainly use my desktop for web, iTunes, burning music and movies and making family movies after hols

Thoughts

2. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

iMacs are great, there expensive but IMO top notch gear! Go get it:)

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

my last desktop case cost me way over a grand and that was just for the case and what was inside. So looking at changing to the bigger screen, and all built in etc....

can i use Vuze whatever that us ;) and what do I need for anti Virus?

4. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

The Imacs are fantastic mate, and as for antivirus, as stupid as it sounds we have 4 macs in our house and have no virus protection and havnt had for 20 years!!
    I know Macaffe is popular but tbh the OS is so good Ive never needed it (famous last words)
    Invest in a External HD to utilise apples only Time machine back up and you cant go wrong (the first back up is real long be warned)

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have a NAS HD so that would still work with the iMac, would it?

6. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

To the best of my knowledge the Nas will work with the mac as usual for storage etc BUT I dont believe you can use Apples Time Machine with a NAS.
    It seems to require a directly attached drive or Apples own (overpriced) time capsule.

7. Si.

Si. God Like

Yup, I use a 27 i7 iMac. Chuffed with it. Never had a virus, it's very quick and doubles up as a widescreen telly for the kids. Works seamlessly with other apple products, it's a hub for all other apple stuff I use. Great for video editing and photo editing, the screen is fantastic. I needed to calibrate mine for photo editing though....
    if you do get one, upgrade the memory to full capacity...I got 16 gig from crucial for £70.... Apple wanted £600!

as for nas, I use an external 2tb drive for time machine and back ups, I also have my iTunes library on it, and have it plugged in to the AirPort Extreme on USB.

#7 Si., Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Yup its pretty effective for up to about 4 weeks ... but the smell is awfull

Waxing is still my prefered method of hair removal tho'

9. shanes

shanes Active Member

get one you will love it , go for the big monitor :-}} we also run the apple time machine it will back up it self all the time as do your lap tops etc .

we had 2 lap tops stolen from the house stupid maid let the guy in :-{{ but load up the new laptops and they downloaded everything identical to what they where before , also the wife had the find my mac on the laptops and whipped and locked them as soon as they where taken , great products