Insurance faf

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Fraz, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

Just had a letter come through from bikesure asking for;
    Drivers licence check codes
    Copies of photocard driving licence
    Proof of no claims.
    First time with bikesure but I have never had all this with other insurers, are they just trying to make it more of a faf to change insurance?
    Surely all my details are on the dvla system!

2. Reddevil007

Reddevil007 Active Member

It's your responsibility to provide the evidence to your no claims entitlement. Under data protection laws your last insurer is not allowed to provide proof to anyone other than you or the broker that provided that policy for you. You want the discount then you prove you are entitled to it

3. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Had the same request when I renewed my policy with Bikesure, no hassle

4. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

I get the no claims but why do they then want copies of my photo card etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reddevil007

Make sure you have the licence to ride the type of vehicle you are insuring. If they assume you have a licence and you have a claim and it turns out you haven't, they are still liable for dealing with any third party injury claim. Yes they could try and claim the money back from you but it's highly unlikely you would have the money to reimburse them. By asking for proof of your licence it helps to cut out these issues before they arise. I could buy a 44ton truck and tell you I had a licence to drive one of these for past 10 years. You would charge me an insurance premium based on that experience when in fact I never have passed a HGV test.

6. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Have pdf copies/photo's of all my deets etc on the Pewter, tiz no myther to emails these to whoever asks! :cool:

7. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

So every year when I change insurance so I don't get an extortionate renewal I will have to prove all this crap instead of one central system where they can find it out.

8. Reddevil007

Yes because information changes so quickly. Do you really want one central system where all your information is held with many different agencies hooking into it. I don't. Enough cyber fraud as it is. Insurance companies share information like claims details as that relates to their industry and therefore they build the system. Licensing is by a completely separate agency so systems not inter linked. Even if they were they would still need authorisation from you to go on to satisfy DPA, hence the need for licence code which you generate and pass to them, giving them the authorisation to look up your details.

As time moves on, the systems will be slicker, but the more reliance on automated systems will bring its own problems.

Anyone remember the dvla problems of a few years back when they were removing people's motorcycle entitlement when carrying out changes of address etc. Once done they had no proof you ever have had the entitlement and overnight people no longer could ride a motorcycle. MCN did a big campaign and thankfully got it sorted.

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I believe that if they go to the DVLA to check your details they have to pay a fee. You sending them a copy is virtually free for them.

#9 Barstewardsquad, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1