Insurance for a 17yr old

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BikersDiscountStore, Jun 23, 2024.

1. BikersDiscountStore

BikersDiscountStore Active Member

So daughter is approaching 17 & it's car/bike time :) Are there any (legal) tricks to get insurance down, I will add myself as an extra driver/rider but is it worth added her mother ?
    I was expecting the car to cost a wedge but the figures I'm getting for a 125 are scary. From memory my 1st insurance on my Fizzy was about a tenner!
    Is there an optimum time to apply before the policy start date?
    Are any bike specific companies better that the big ones etc? Is it worth calling them or just use the online forms?
    Any help from someone who's gone throught his recently would be most appreciated.

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

From memory the more people you can load on the policy the more it brings it down for some reason?
    I’d always say call them as they’ve always done better doing this, online it’s just is what it is and there you go.
    Good luck with it Mike

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Play with the excess when you do your quotes. It might be worth pushing the excess right up depending on the value of the bike in the case of a total loss.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Also play with the estimated mileage. It may seem counterintuitive but often a higher mileage reduces the quote.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1000rrboyjay

1000rrboyjay Active Member

Yeah both those ideas do affect the premium, so keep an eye on those. Having a garage/alarm/data tag can make a difference.
    It might seem a silly thing, but make sure pillion cover is switched off, when I had my 125 on CBT, insurance companies would often include it at a cost, but you can’t take them anyway! Obviously they just want the extra money.
    I’ve found the bike insurer website good value.
    When I was 17 I paid £660 TPFT for a CBR 125 for the first year, jeez!