Insurance question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by timmy twoshoes, Dec 4, 2012.

1. timmy twoshoes

Hello all ,
    I had a accident in our car back in July have declared it on the new car insurance but do you have to declare it on the bike policy as it was a car accident ??

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I asked the same question but the other way around of Aviva when I got the new car just after my bike accident and they said it was n't necessary to inform them of the claim for the bike, Tim.

It's still worth a phone call to double check, but that was the answer I got.

• Like Like x 2
  3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Most insurers will ask if you have had "Any" accident within the last 5 years. This would include both bike and car.

A few have been know to ask whether or not you have had specific crashes i,e bike or car and will disregard if for example you had a car crash but are looking to insure the bike. It is rare they ask the question this way but it has happened.

If you fail to declare any crashes, then they can turn it around in their favour and refuse cover on the basis that they will deem it a false declaration at time of application.

Always best to be honest, its called covering your arse ;)

• Like Like x 4
  4. timmy twoshoes

thanks for the replies.Both are very valid answers , my insurance company put my premium up by £200 because of the accident , but after searching on-line ( go compare) i have got insurance for £ 176 cheaper, that's with declaring the accident..its always worth a quick look on - line
    Also found out that if the vehicle is used to commute to 2 places of work you have to put it down as business use..cost an extra £20

5. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

As T.C. says it's always best to be honest with insurance companies and remember what answers you give, I got stitched up over a claim a good few years ago because of how I replied to a question worded slightly differently on the claim form to the proposal form. Held my claim up for over a year.