Insurance Robbery?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Black, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Black

Black Active Member

Now i've never heard anything like this before as it sounds like daylight robbery but anyone have any ideas if this is legit?

Guy takes out insurance policy and receives request to provide proof of previous no claims. Previous insurance company plays funny buggers and do not send out evidence of NC despite several requests. Guy receives reminders from new insurance provider so he calls up and talks to them about it. He asks new company to contact previous insurer but they refuse as it is the insured parties responsibility to provide the data. Ok so back onto previous insurer with no luck. Meantime new insurer cancels policy (sending notification out on second class post which takes 5 days to arrive) leaving him unknowingly riding without insurance for that period.
    Now he was insured for three weeks total and he has been informed that the insurer does not have to repay any of the premium as he was in default. They are keeping the full years premium for just three weeks cover! They have offered to provide cover but he needs to pay full amount again.
    Probably wouldn't have had the same issue if he had been paying up the premium monthly but there you go.

Anybody heard anything like this happening before?

2. Alblade

Alblade God Like

He needs to use phrase 'treating customers fairly' to them and also 'I will file an FSA compliant complaint about this'

Sounds odd the previous insurer will not provide proof of NCB - unless there was an outstanding amount and they are holding onto the NCB till the debt settled ?

3. Black

Black Active Member

I thought the same about the previous insurer but he's adamant that theres no issue there. He has just sold his blade and bought a BMW tho but its not as if he was insured through Honda Direct and their taking the hump! Lol

4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

insurance ombudsman is the answer.

5. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

You can use the insurers policy renewal schedule as proof of no claims these days you don't have to get a seperate proof of no claims certificate page thing.

The new policy schedule lists all the policy details that are currently on the system to be renewed including the years/percentage of no claims.
    That was all my insurer required when I asked what do you need for proof.

6. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

In the past i have been asked to send proof of NC too, why should this happen?? surely a phone call between both insurance companys should solve this?

Jay

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

IMO they are all legalised robbing barstewards, nothing surprises me anymore about the insurance industry.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Re the above - do you think 100% of claims raised are also totally legitimate?

9. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

This is all very well unless you cancel before renewal time, so that you can use ur no claims discount on ur new policy. This is due to the fact you cannot use it on 2 policy's at once. Multi-vehicle is the exception.

10. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Of course not, but 2 wrongs does not make a right, and the insurance industry is heavily implicated in the ambulance chasing culture of claims companies, they have been proven to be the ones selling the accident info to the very same vultures that contact accident victims urging them to claim for all kinds of injuries and costs.

The insurance companies cannot lose, the more they pay out on these scams, the more they increase premiums to cover the cost.

#10 Kentblade, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

That's a separate question and typically is used to deflect attention from the key point, which is that vehicle insurance is a ******* racket.

12. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

When I took out insurance on the Blade, MCE just phones my previous insurer Express Insurance to get proof of my NCB. Who is the insurer so we can avoid them in the future :)

13. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

for most people insurance is just there to make them legal to drive and cover in case of a big crash ,as lots of people pay to repair their own vehicle to avoid the rise in premiums , loss of no claims and the insurance excess.
    saying that though … i heard on the news that the big insurance companies (not the brokers) don't make money from the policies , they use the money to invest in the money world, that is why insurance went up so much when the money markets collapsed in 2008.

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Insurance is gambling by another name. The companies and brokers bet on you not making a claim and charge you based on the likelihood of you doing so.

15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Just renewed my insurance for blade 2013 hrc MCE wanted 347 express 240 including policy of £46 to protect £750 excess, not paying for the Big Ed at BSB:eek:
    Then MCE said they could match well tough just lost a loyal customer should of given a honest price first.
    Shop around all.