Insurance

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gsco, Jan 4, 2012.

1. gsco

gsco Active Member

Alright guys
    For years I always kept my mileage down when sorting out my insurance, but just realised having a mileage of 3000 per year actually costs you more than having a mileage of 12,000 per year. And im talking saving for me of £300. Anyone know why this would be...................................... :rolleyes:

2. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

Because they see your not using the bike much, thus not as competent at operating it so more likely to crash when u do

3. Barmbyblade

Barmbyblade Active Member

One would have thought the less you ride your bike the risk to the insurer would be less? The reason why I say this because when I have ask for an online quote for different predicted mileages the one with the higher mileage have quoted more for the policy.

4. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Well when i put a low number of miles on my policy, then rang back a few days later so say it was a mistake and i needed to increase it by about 2,000 miles........... they wanted to charge me a price premium !!!!!!!!!!!! WTF. Total rip off the lot of them, if i had put those miles on the original quote i am sure it would have made no difference but if they think they can make a few extra bucks from any sucker punter then they will. You have to box clever with these rip off merchants.

5. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Insured mine prior to picking it up. Seller said 12000mls on clock. Insured for limited mileage, 5000, when i got there it had 13,500 on clock!

6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I have never understood how they can prove what mileage you have done on the bike e.g.

I could of done 10 track days at 300 miles a day and lent my bike to my mate who did a 1500 mile euro road trip...... at which point the mileage would read 4500 miles more but I would not of ridden a single mile on a public highway on my insurance policy ????

Has anyone ever been refused a pay out based on mileage or have any relevant info on this ????

7. Barmbyblade

Barmbyblade Active Member

I don't think they can Jamie? unless of course you volunteer that information, and as far as I'm aware it's not a legal requirement to disclose your mileage to insurance companies, the issue here is whether you are honest when declaring how many miles you are expected to travel, if however you declare 1 mile for arguments sake then do three times that then they will see that has higher risk so would expect you to pay more on your policy?

8. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Insurance is a complete and utter load of bo***ks. After rebuilding my 748 sp (after an excursion through a fence) i took it for a shake down run. Some numb nuts boy racer pulled out from a parking spot and knocked me right off. there were 6 independant witnesses, spotty yoof even admitted liability. i was fully comp but still had to stump up the £1000 excess and didn't get it back for 14 months!!
    on a different vein, if for eg. you happen to drive into somebodys ferrari in your old £500 banger, they would be claiming £1000's in repair bills. the old banger could be sorted with a visit to the scrappers and a hammer. now comes the time for insurance renewal.any claims in last 3 years sir? nope. however, mr. ferrari HAS claimed, even though it's not his fault. Happened to me. except i didnt have a ferrari!! lol.

EDIT. point being, with my ins. co. anyway, they are only interested how much you have claimed, regardless of fault.

#8 BLAGGERS, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012