Inters on only my second Track day

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Remal, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

A good idea?

I have only done pembrey trackday last year, but ridden with loads of different mates over the years and about 4-5 of them who don't know each other really said after pembrey I should go into inters?

Why? i'm more worried about cars, people in my past than getting around a corner I know on the road . corners are fun. what I don't expect is the only thing that worry's me.

Now I took it easy on track as I did not want to bin the blade on my first TD
    I'm not worried about my ego passing my experience on track
    only of others in Inters.
    I try and learn braking points, best corner entry and exit and sometimes over think rather than feel my way around. but I like to learn and go faster.
    I know my position on the bike needs improvement and once that comes so should my track riding.

thoughts? go to inters on my 2nd TD

and hope that makes sense

2. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

TBH mate if you can ride then you should have no probs in INTERS i wouldnt worry to much. I know peeps say about you need to so many days before you move up etc but its bull really.

3. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

I went into inters on my second. OIn my first in novice i was just getting held up, couldn't get a clean lap at all.

4. Villan

Villan Active Member

Try it, you can always move back down if you feel uncomfortable!

5. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Find the quicker rider and stick to their back wheel. Follow the lines they take
    You certainly have the right tool for the job:cool:
    Not words of experience BTW :D
    So you may want to ignore this ;)

6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I ran novice on second trackday at cadwell hated it everyone all over the place, to slow or just plain stupid did two sessions then asked to go on advanced/fast group as there were no inters places left...
    best choice ever the quick lads bugger off and the ones left overtake cleanly, stick to a line and I loved every second of the rest of the day, if your confident in your own ability just go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Go for it mate . safer in there and as said above . If you getting left behind or holding peeps up they will just move you down

8. Brym

Brym Active Member

I went into inter's on first trackday at Pembery, guys who I rode with said pace was ok and I would get frustrated in novice as there is little consistency with pace and lines they are all over the place. Confirmed when I had to go in novice at Mallory because I had not been there before, I hated it in traffic was dodgy. Turns out it was more an excuse as inters is very popular.

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Go for it dude, I did novice on 1st and was quicker than most, 2nd novice again an hated it... The 3rd and my 1st on brands gp my pal put me in fast, on a club practice day and held my own.

If your not comfortable move back, but you'll get more out if it if you are with similar speed guys

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Stunning feedback all. I think thats made my mind up

11. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

In my experience, there is little consistency it groups anyway.

I have been in slow fast groups & fast slow groups. Inters can be great, its can also be fast or steady.

It is usually the first group to fill; often with people who (for whatever reason) don't want to book novice, or should be in fast but (for whatever reason) don't want to move up.

If there is a race meeting coming up at a given track, lots of the normal faster lads will book inters because the fast group has sold out.

Or, go with FE as it often a lottery anyway.

Book it, try it, but don't think its a good measure of how riding in that group will always be.

:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers swiss T, I did pembrey with FE and booked for novices and got that. all my other mates (about 20 went) all got into the groups they wanted. But there was only 45 there for the whole day

13. barry107

barry107 Active Member

As others have already said............................... Go for it :D

First ever trackday (evening session) was at Brands in the Novice group and my second td was in the Inters.

I learnt so much more in the Inters, I slotted in behind a quick lady on a R1 and followed her for a few laps and have never looked back.

GO FOR IT ;)

14. pablo

pablo Active Member

If you're running in the front third of the group i'd consider moving up mate. You'll notice there's some quick buggers in inters but just stick with it and latch onto someone a little quicker to learn lines and markers.

15. fordy99

fordy99 Member

I remember my first track day at Donington. Went in Inters on advice of a mate and although I was nervous I certainly wasn't at the back of the group, more the middle. By the end of the day I was near the front (judged by the fact that I didn't get overtaken).

If you are confident then go for it because you can bet there are 100 other inkers all thinking the same thing as you

16. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

Go for it.....
    My first TD i went straight into the inters and after that i always go in the advanced/fast group now....
    from my experince i have found that most sessions that are stopped are the inters (Red Flags)....
    As Garyb said... Follow a quicker rider and follow his/her lines and remember to stay within your comfort zone!! as once you go beyond your comfort then strange things happen and it hurts..... been there done that!.

But at the end of the day do what you think you are comfortable with.

Jay

17. scooby

scooby Elite Member

best bit of advice i can give you is get an instructer as soon as poss,regardless of what group your in.

generally they know the circuit+lines so can show you where you "should" be going,not where you "think" you should be.

it's all very well latching onto someone but not always the best idea,at least not in inters/novice group.

i nearly always grab one,and i run mid-top end fast group.(if nothing else but to get out 1st :) )

• Like Like x 2
  18. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Cheers Scooby.

I am at Anglesey on Sat and Sun this week. was going to get a instructor on the Sat, i'm in Novices on sat and inters on the Sun

19. crin

crin Active Member

I'm in the same boat and will be booking inters. My first trackday was awesome but we were muck quicker than anyone else in novice group. We should have been moved up as it was dangerous really with people crawling round all over the place