Is Life Better Now ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by And7rp2, Feb 27, 2013.

1. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Just for a minute forget everything stressfull in your life and read this..............
    Close your eyes and go back in time..

Before the Internet or the apple IPad.before semi automatics joyriders and crack....

Before SEGA or Nintendo
    Waaaayy back
    Those where the days !

I'm talking about hide and seek in the park. The corner shop. Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping. Handstands. Football with an old can.

Fingerbob. Beano. Dandy. Buster. Twinkle and Dennis the menace. Roly poly. Hula hoops. Jumping the stream. Building dams. The smell of fresh cut grass the sun shining. Bazooka joe bubble gum. An ice cream cone on a warm summers night from a van that plays a tune.

Hang on ......

Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials. The Double Deckers. Road Runner. He-man. Zeebedee. Tiswas or Swapshop ? And 'why don't you' or staying up for Dr Who.

When round the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Earwigs. Wasps. Stinging nettles and bee stings. Sticky fingers. Dirty knees with scabs on.

Cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians and Zorro.

Climbing trees. Walking to school no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath. Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Turning round and round so fast that you collapse on the ground and lie there watching the sky going round and round. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Being tired from playing................remember that ?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.

Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Choppers and grifters.

Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops

Remember when.............

There where two types of trainer........boys and girls. Dunlop Green Flash and the only time you wore them was for P.E.

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three ' best ' friends

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 25p was a decent pocket money.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

It was magic when your dad would 'remove' his thumb.

When any parent could discipline any kid or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody,not even the kid,thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the heads office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home if your mum or dad found out.

Basically we were in fear of our life's but it wasn't because of drive by shootings,drugs or gangs. Oh no......parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat ! - and some of us are still afraid of them !!!

Didn't that feel good ? Just to back and say, yeh I remember that !

Remember when...........

Decisions were made by " ip dip dog shit"
    Race issues meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
    Money issues were handled by whoever was banker in ' monopoly'

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was sitting next to one !

Having a weapon in school,meant being caught with a catapult.
    Nobody was prettier than mum
    Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant orange- flavoured chewable aspirin.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors,but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from " grown up" life......
    Go on I DOUBLE DARE YOU !

• Like Like x 8
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't read it Andy. My eyes are closed.

• Like Like x 2
  3. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Trust you !! Well spotted mate ;-)

4. lee711

lee711 Active Member

not only did i put pegged playing cards on my budgie bike for that akro sound but also jammed a 7up can on my heels and hey presto sparkies..................

• Like Like x 2
  5. Givover

Givover God Like

Yup the good old days I look at my Grandson and think how great it must be but then also remind myself that once you are 16 and you have a bank account or NI you are in the system and therefore you are F**ked.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

Things are so much different these days... and not in a good way.Oh to be 9 again..:) I was a little nightmare tho..,ask mi Mam..... I drove her mental....:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Givover

Givover God Like

Good and nice topic Andy and should be continued so ... Collecting Conkers and taking pop bottles back to the shop for a sixpence , playing football in the street...........

• Like Like x 1
  8. lee711

lee711 Active Member

lucky bags, magpie, and calypso carton drinks... go the shops for me dad to get him 10 No6 and pints of milk in poly bags...

9. steve b

steve b Active Member

if iwas bad the local bobby used to be sat on our garden wall having a cuppa with my old man by the time i got home he never said anything much to me but he knew the minute he left i was in deep shit and he wouldnt see me for a while,he knew home justice was harsher than the courts

• Like Like x 1
  10. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

Saturday matinee at the cinema with my sisters...... :D

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to meet up with my old man Dave. He used to drive these.

image.jpg

13. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Named Peak passes Wath Road Junction | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    cant get the photo to embed!
    anyways this was our playground as kids Manvers coking plant you can just see some of it in the background,once described as the biggest industrial site in western europe just living in its shadow was supposed to be equivalent of smoking 6 cigarettes a day! Who needs Alton Towers fucking happy days.....

image.jpg

#13 dave d, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Wish I was 9 again cos I was not ere but in a place called Happy Valley Google it..Lived there for 3 yrs,now that was the time of my life.Never cold always sunny and loved that way of life there.My favourite hobby was spotting performance cars.We used to say on the school bus" Digs that 911 or quick look theres a Ferrari coming up".Banyans were good too. We would have a minesweeper for a whole day taking us to a secluded island with a beach.Us kids would be asked who wants to swim ashore? Thats when I could swim half a mile easily.No worries about drowning cos dingys with armed response and medics were there for us.Spent the days playing on the beach with all the families who all mucked in with bbqs entertainment and watch outs.Never wore trousers to school always shorts.The Navy looked after its personnel and families.When we got back to Brize Norton it was depressing to see a grey, miserable and cold country we called home.

15. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Thanks for that,, I enjoyed the read

16. bubba

bubba Member

That took me back to being a young burner in the good old days ripping round the streets and getting wrong most of the time for doing something we shoudnt of been doing :D but not to having a care in the world! enjoyed reading that andy nice one ;)