Is my blade F*cked ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by paddydeghostrider, Mar 6, 2012.

1. paddydeghostrider

paddydeghostrider Active Member

Bike was very slow to start one day, let a loud bang (like a backfire) but started and drove ok.

Wouldn’t start up after that, really slow turning like the battery was dead so i got a new one, this didn’t work either and wouldn’t turn the engine quick enough, so I tried jump starting but that made little difference too, it's as if the engine is running mad high compression.

Bike will start (eventually, after much banging and smoke) with a good push, and drives ok making good power (especially the top end) and idles as normal, maybe running alittle hotter, but that could be down to the ‘lively’ spin;

The bike seems to be charging okay with voltmeter fluctuating as the revs increase,.

Electric Starter is the next port of call (cost €660! new) or recondition the existing one with new brushes, has anyone else come across this type of problem before ?

My middle name isn’t exactly ‘mechanical-sympathy’ but I’m hearing mixxed reports from wrung bearings/engine tightening up, to oil leaking onto the pistons creating more compression etc. just wondering what the folk here think.

Probably not relevant, but I had a leaking radiator the day before and put that gunky ‘rad seal’ or equivalent into it, which did it’s job, it hardly seized the water pump bearings overnight or is this even possible ? :confused:

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

sorry I can't help but others will be along that should be able to shed some light. and hope it's a cheap fix

3. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Did the leaking of water go over the engine and starter motor?If so take the starter motor out and inspect the front cog.If it is rusty then it's the starter motor.You may be looking at £80 for it to be reconditioned.

4. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Sorry I can’t offer any advice either, but like Remal said we have a few resident experts who should point you in the right direction

5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I'm not sure either but would suggest your starter motor, take it off and have it checked before you purchase a new one. I,m not one for advising anyone however, never use rad-weld on your bike or car, its not magic, to find and block the leak it will deposit itself in places you don't want it to be. If your radiator is leaking get it repaired or replace it and flush your system.

Good look

6. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

Never ever use rad seal! Its is horrible stuff and you are only putting off the inevitable of fixing a leak. Though I don't think this is the cause of your problem. You say you had a loud bang and then lots of smoke, what colour was the smoke and how long did it last?.......it doesn't sound like your starter motor is the problem to me as that is not going to cause this. I would take out the spark plugs and check to see if they are all the same colour/texture. While they are out you could do a compression test for good measure

7. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

How old is it and what's the milage, it could be the head gasket!

If it's eating water the water leaks into the engine the constant turning over eventually gets the water out and it starts then when you stop the process begins again until your out of water then it overhears etc!

If that is what's happened you don't wanna be running the bike at all you'll crack the head!

8. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

You guys have the questions covered....lol

9. Benn The Pig

It's like an apprenticeship of little arts being sent off into the biking world.....,

The force is strong in us young jedi's lol

• Like Like x 3
  10. arthurbikemad

Feel the force Benn feeeeel it.. :) lol

11. Benn The Pig

I'm feeling it I'm feeling it

12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Get a rooms u 2 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. arthurbikemad

I did worry what he was feeling.. ;) and at 11:30PM!

14. Benn The Pig

I was feeling pissin tired it was my 7th shift at work straight!

15. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Just a possible thought..........If your bikes an 04-05 then its possible that the "Backfire" was due to the Stator windings shorting out on the flywheel thus igniting unburnt fuel vapour in the crank case,when this happens it could blow out the Cam Cover seal which eventually leads to an oil leak.I,m also told (never seen it but) that due to the shorting of the windings its possible that some of the melted windings can drop down and jam the flywheel or even semi weld to the flywheel.Is it charging correctly??.
    I,ve experienced it myself on a m8,s bike

16. fordy99

fordy99 Member

Hi mate, you will get all kinds of advice, best thing is to get to Honda - they might charge the earth but they will fix it.

17. paddydeghostrider

paddydeghostrider Active Member

Turns out it was the starter motor (all the magnets were in bits) cheers for the advice all :) (660€ for a new one !!)

18. Hobey600

Hobey600 Active Member

Glad you found out what the problem was and got it sorted.

19. dave d

dave d Elite Member

£75 DK SPARES brenden