Joined the gym a week ago and not noticed any difference

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martinowen, Dec 6, 2012.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Well as I tittle says last week I joined the gym, I have joined for a few reasons, both my surgeon and physio have said that I need to build up certain muscles in my thigh that have died off in 8 years of not being used, also since my accident I think I may have put on a gram or 2 (5st :( )
    Well like I said I joined a week ago and I have not notice any change good or bad

The mrs has suggested I may see an advantage if I actually turn up!

Serious note - I'm lacking in motivation any hints or tips from anyone on here?
    Mr motivator is all booked up, can't afford a personal trainer
    Cheers

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think it's possible to exercise properly alone. The motivation drops off quickly. Runners and cyclists don't count, there's something creepily masochistic about them. Get a mate, preferably a competitive one, to train with you, but make sure they're of a similar strength as you are. Some years back I got into off road cycling and J was happy to come with me but I had to ride at her pace, much slower than mine, so got no benefit from it. I then started riding with my BIL, who was much fitter than me so didn't benefit from that either. Then I had a nasty and nobody wanted to ride with me.

You need to have someone to beat and to drag you out when you think 'today I can't be bothered' and vice versa, else you'll just drift out of the habit.

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

A couple of years ago I went along with a mate but they kept deciding they wouldn't go on days arranged which would then put me off, so I want to go by myself this time so no one will hold me back.
    There was a really big set of boobs last time that motivated me nicely but apparently standing still on the cross trainer dribbling is not accepted! Maybe that was a distraction not a motivation.
    Another thing I find with going with someone is I can't do alot of the stuff they can, so we would end up oposite ends of gym if that makes sence

4. Horney

Horney Active Member

Just get some good tunes on the old iPod and get your arse down there, after you get in to a routine youll maybe even enjoy it! Plus theres loads of fit women there

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I would not join a gym, I was told this week cycle good for leg muscle and swimming but do not run or do any impact work on my legs, hence the "no running"

Soo bike will be got out for weekends and sometimes communte to work and swimming that I do every weekend. Cheap and I can do what I want when I want. Must try and make the effort

6. phantom

phantom Active Member

try the insanity cardio workouts,
    I too lacked motivation but tried the two month
    workout and stuck to it.shed a stone in flab and
    the difference even after 30 days was noticeable.

7. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Legs a bit too weak to cycle at the mo I have to work on that, I got a membership through work for £150 which allows use of the pools also so it's worth it just for the swimming. But inside of thigh has waisted away so need light weights and cross trainer for building that also

8. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I used to have a cracking little gym close by, but it closed down, my day I was quite a keep fit freak. (honest) nothing heavy just keeping myself trim 3-4 days a week fitting in with my shifts, I too fancy getting back into the fitness scene as I'm carrying a couple of stone I shouldn't be, especially as I'm keeping off the cigs, the only thing that worries/bothers me nowadays is I ain't the bloke I used to be, and belive it not, quite shy, or perhaps conscious about going into the bigger gyms to exercise, I frequent the leisure Centers etc quite a bit with the kids activities at weekends etc and IMO there appears to be a lot of vanity going on these days?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dano28

Dano28 Active Member

Thing with any type of exercise, building muscle, loosing weight etc you need to set yourself realistic goals...little things like I'll go x amount of days or I'll exercise for this long. As for noticing results I would normally say allow 6 to 8 weeks then review - take pictures before after, weight before after etc. hardest bit is getting into a routine once you do that the motivation follows as do the results. Wives/girlfriends aren't always the best to comment on results as they see you daily so don't notice as much as a mate you might see once every few weeks. The worst motivation breaker is not noticing results or assessing the results too early...so set some goals (realistic of course, again another motivation breaker setting unrealistic goals and not achieving). The gym might not be for you you need to find a form of exercise that keeps you interested and vary it as well. Good luck!

10. phantom

phantom Active Member

I took pics and was surprised with the difference after 30 days.
    main thing that I had to do was change my eating habits from
    3 to 5 meals a day.was packing away 2500 cals a day and still losing weight.

11. Si.

Si. God Like

I religiously go to the gym every day, apart from any day that ends in "Y". It's hard, but you`ll get there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I dunno if you guys helped or if you just bored me into it but I'm off to the gym lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

A mate of mine uses some app called "gym pact"... essentially you commit to a certain attendance and if you reach it you earn money... if not it costs you!

14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't afford to do that ;) lol
    Well. Hour and half is enough for first time, sat in car trying to work out how to drive now every muscle refuses to work!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Following a back injury I joined a gym three years ago to strengthen what's left, I go 4 nights a week and hate every minute, I have been at it fit 3 years years and though the number of cakes and biscuits I each hamper any weight loss aspirations I might have, I recognise the benefits when I miss a week and go back, the workout is much harder!

16. Fozza

Fozza New Member

Hi mate, i've lost 7 kgs in 3 months by cycling to work every day (10 miles) and cutting my calories to 1500 per day. I use an app for the ipad/iphone and it has helped loads. It's called Calorie Count HD.
    Best of luck, it's hardwork at first but give it a month and you will notice the difference.
    The reason I did it was because I paid £300 for some new Alpinestars leather trousers and they were too tight.
    It would have been cheaper getting the next size up because i've now had to buy all new clothes cus my wife said i looked like a tramp. lol.
    Fozza

• Like Like x 2
  17. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

18. bardo 1962

bardo 1962 Member

Martin try walking to the gym if its not to far away, do a light workout and walk home again. Then each week do a longer workout and within 6 weeks you will notice the difference. I was a mad gym freak for about 15 years training on my own (as people kept letting me down) and I got to a decent body-building standard. The motivation will come as you start to see results so stick at it matey and you will feel the benefits next year when out on the blade.Good luck.

19. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately i live a bit far away to walk or cycle plus my main issues are caused by injurys mainly leg related so would struggle with that bit
    But.....the blonde personal trainer that did my induction was quite motivating and she definatley got the heart rate up!

20. Joe

Joe Member

I also have put on around 4 stone, to get round the problem without going to the gym I just sold the 600 and bought the blade instead to compensate for the extra weight! :D