Lap top problem

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradt, Nov 22, 2014.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

My trusty old HP 530 laptop has a developed a major fault and just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

Over the last few months I have been getting a white border around the screen, last night the screen faded and went completely white. I assume the screen has gone.

My question is are screens replaceable ? if so is it practical/financially viable to do, main concern is that is I have not backed up for some time and I have a lot of pictures/documents on there that I cannot now retrieve.

Can I somehow plug I to a another monitor ?

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

If you can plug it into another monitor that would be your best first option. Then back up asap. You will need to look at the connections available on the laptop, a D connector would be good or even an HDMI connector.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

Like Kevin says, plug in an external monitor and check you've got an output (picture/desktop). If not then it could be a graphics card hardware problem, fixable if graphics chip is mounted to remove draughter board. If screen problem they're not too bad to replace and plenty usually available on eBay. Could also be a problem with the connector for the screen where it mounts on the motherboard which you can sometimes access by removing the keyboard.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Yes the screen should be replaceable. I replaced the youngest's screen when the kids managed to break it. Think I got it from this lot who have a screen for your laptop. As said check the laptop first but it is a relatively easy job to do, just get the exact model number off the label and a search of the HP site should get you to the manuals to take it all apart etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iain

Iain Active Member

Have a look on google, plenty of info on how to replace the screen including this one. But before you do, try plugging in an external monitor, it could be the display driver that could be the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Thanks all for your help. I have done as suggested and it works so time to back up and get replacement. Thanks again