Laptop rant

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Fletch, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

I need a wee bit of a rant

So a month ago my laptop came to a sticky end in a fit of rage ... First time I've lost my temper in ages and first time I've ever taken it out on an inanimate object

So ordered a new XPS laptop, i7, 6gb ram, good graphics card ... All in all a very good replacemwnt.

So I had plugged my phone in during the day, when I was finished I left the cable on the keyboard and moved the laptop out the way

When I picked it up late last night I layed 2 fingers on the lid just to keep it stable and heard the tell tale noise of the screen cracking .... So I'm fecking mad

I know its.a catalogue of events that shouldn't have happened, the Dell screen is obviously loads more delicate than my previous laptop as it took loads more pressure with a cable between the lid

Do I fix it myself or get somebody to so it, looking at videos online it appears fairly simple and is only £55 for a screen

Sent from my HTC Sensation running Android Revolution HD using Tapatalk

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Fixing laptops is just like fixing any other computer except more fiddly Flatch. It's just harder to reach the plugs is all mate.

3. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

I'm quite happy sticking my sausage fingers inside a full size pc ... After looking at an online video of the screen replacement it LOOKS quite simple ... But the usual fear of causing expensive mistakes and having a pile of bits at the end is always there

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The things to be careful of are security headed screws you don't have the correct drive heads for and the fact that you already know how delicate the monitor is. Fixing them on the piss can stress them without actually breaking them and affect how they run.

I must say, I'd be suspicious of how the other one broke so easy if I was you. I have seen them take some nasty punishment and survive. I can't help but wonder if it had been fitted under stress to start with.

5. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Just plain Philips according to the video, and the bezel just clips off ... Got a tool for helping with that

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

In that case, £55 then dude.

7. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Well its ordered .... I'll try a before and after picture

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Good man.

Just talking to my IT guru here at work and he thinks its weird too that not much pressure causes so much torsional stress to crack it. He just reiterates to double check that the lid is closing parallel to the base and isn't fouling anything as it does.

Good luck with it Fletch, don't forget the pictures.

9. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

It's closing straight for sure, ill make sure everything is tightened up in an order that won't caused any stress on things ... I was very surprised and very pissed off

10. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

A single crack is covered under warranty with us . Warranty void on the hole if you try replacing it your self thou

11. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Us being?

12. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Ordered the screen and got fed up waiting .. so started to take it to bits

Here's what i managed to do
    [​IMG]

Getting the bezel off was made way easier because i had long nails this morning, i got them under the top edge and just lifted and slid them along, bottom edge was a bugger because the bezel went right under the hinged edge, broke 2 clips but there so small and there are so many it won;t be a problem
    [​IMG]

Now gotta pull the camera forward, it has 2 pins it slides over and some sticky tape holding it in place, you cannot drop the screen forward without dropping the camera out as it's the same ribbon cable
    [​IMG]

Undo the screws, they are all ordered for tightening by the numbers 1-8
    [​IMG]

The ribbon cable is held onto the back of the monitor in 2 places with some fairly strong tape
    [​IMG]

Ribbon cabled disconnected and pulled back out the way
    [​IMG]

Bracket on the side of the screen that will be transplanted onto new screen
    [​IMG]

Showing the numbers
    [​IMG]

Camera back in place now the ribbon cable has been disconnect from the screen
    [​IMG]

Photo of the laptop minus the screen, showing where the cables should lie with screen in place
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Screen removed
    [​IMG]

14. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

All cleaned ")