Laser speed cameras - how can they work

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kevin1, May 3, 2013.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

As I was approaching one of these laser speed cameras that are housed in a transit van, I wondered how these can work with a motorcycle. We don't have a forward facing number plate. I wasn't speeding by the way. Just wondering.

2. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

usually they struggle to get a fix on a bike as there is no flat surface, however as far as i understand they have improved.

usual get you number plate by the video can on the dash

3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Laser cameras work fine on motorcycles these days, and in fairness even back in the days of Muniquip when they used radar it worked fine.

Although there is no forward facing plate, all it requires is for the operator to watch the rider drive past and write down the registration number.

Perfectly legal and accepted as part of the evidence gathering requirements.

4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I got done with one of these a few years back, no video evidence the operator just wrote down my reg :mad:. 37 in a 30 but fair cop, have had naughtier days!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Givover

Givover God Like

Flip plate;)

• Like Like x 3
  6. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

What's the penalty for failing to display a registration mark I wonder.:confused:

Another 'solution' ; If you think you been flashed, try and stop before you've ridden past the front of the van, then, 'back-pedal' until you're way, way, way back up the road. Turn round and get the hell outa there. lol

#6 el-nicko, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  7. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Less than the penalty for trying to hide your registration plate.

• Like Like x 2
  8. T.C

T.C Elite Member

£30 and no points

Flip up plate is deemed as attempting to pervert the course of justice which is arrestable and carries a prison sentence.

• Like Like x 2
  9. el-nicko

Would that be for 'deploying' one or for operating a vehicle fitted with one I wonder. I'd also like to know if the old 3-line number plates that used to be fitted to bikes up until a few years back present a problem to 'numberplate recognition cameras' (NRCs?).

10. T.C

T.C Elite Member

The simple act of fitting such a plate has resulted in a conviction on the basis that it was fitted with the intent of being used.

As far as the old 3 line plates are concerned, (which if I recall was associated mainly with the old Beemer boxer twins) is still legal providing the characters and spacing comply with the regulations that were in force at the time they were originally fitted.

I am not sure that plate dealers are allowed to still make these plates as they probably do not have the specs available to them in the modern kit, and whether ANPR Cameras can read them? I don't know the answer to that I am afraid.

If i had to take an educated punt, I would probably say Yes, but that would be as I said just an educated guess, so happy to be corrected.

• Like Like x 2
  11. el-nicko

I had occasion to replace a plate last year and I seem to remember they would still make you one up if your bike was registered before (something like) year 2000. I, myself think they can sometimes look neater on a bike and was wondering why they became illegal on modern machines. I kinda supposed it was to do with ANPRs.:rolleyes: