Le Touquet anyone?

Discussion in 'Events, Meetings & Ride Outs' started by JD, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JD

JD Active Member

Well, now that things have settled down a bit, thought I'd re-post something I put up a few weeks ago:

Le Touquet Spring 2012

Just testing the water here, this is something I've organised a couple of times in the past as a member of Gixerjunkies.

For those people who have ridden abroad I don't need to tell you it adds a new dimension to biking, but there are loads of people who for one reason or another have never ventured beyond our shores.

So, how about a taster for those members to join a ride to Le Touquet with our more seasoned travellers?

Here's the plan. Day trip to Le Touquet, going over on the train to Calais and then taking some excellent roads via Boulogne to LT. Lunch in LT, look around the town (brilliant place) and then head back along the coast to Calais.

Worth pointing out that we would use the 'drop off' system. This caters for riders of all abilities, so that slower riders can be confident that they won't be left behind at any time, but at the same time faster riders can have fun too.

As already mentioned, I organised a couple of these with Gixerjunkies and we all had a great time. The most bikes we had on one trip was 42, and using the 'drop off' system 42 bikes roared into LT together, think the locals wondered what hit them, but the French of course love their bikes.

Anyway, just a thought. If you think you might be interested, post up, and if there's sufficient interest I'll get my organisational hat on. I'd like it to be an opportunity for anyone who perhaps hasn't ridden abroad to join us knowing they'll have nothing to worry about and can just enjoy it.

So guys, if you fancy it please cut and paste all of this and add your name onto the list. To get the ball rolling I already know Jimbo will be coming along so here's the first two names:

JD
    Jimbo Vills

• Like Like x 4
  2. tucker

tucker Active Member

Le Touquet anyone?

Well, now that things have settled down a bit, thought I'd re-post something I put up a few weeks ago:

Le Touquet Spring 2012

Just testing the water here, this is something I've organised a couple of times in the past as a member of Gixerjunkies.

For those people who have ridden abroad I don't need to tell you it adds a new dimension to biking, but there are loads of people who for one reason or another have never ventured beyond our shores.

So, how about a taster for those members to join a ride to Le Touquet with our more seasoned travellers?

Here's the plan. Day trip to Le Touquet, going over on the train to Calais and then taking some excellent roads via Boulogne to LT. Lunch in LT, look around the town (brilliant place) and then head back along the coast to Calais.

Worth pointing out that we would use the 'drop off' system. This caters for riders of all abilities, so that slower riders can be confident that they won't be left behind at any time, but at the same time faster riders can have fun too.

As already mentioned, I organised a couple of these with Gixerjunkies and we all had a great time. The most bikes we had on one trip was 42, and using the 'drop off' system 42 bikes roared into LT together, think the locals wondered what hit them, but the French of course love their bikes.

Anyway, just a thought. If you think you might be interested, post up, and if there's sufficient interest I'll get my organisational hat on. I'd like it to be an opportunity for anyone who perhaps hasn't ridden abroad to join us knowing they'll have nothing to worry about and can just enjoy it.

So guys, if you fancy it please cut and paste all of this and add your name onto the list. To get the ball rolling I already know Jimbo will be coming along so here's the first two names:

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker ( poss two pals with bikes ):dance3:

3. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1

Gotta be done

5. lillywhites

lillywhites Active Member

Yes please pending the date J D

6. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Ohh yes

7. JD

JD Active Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites

8. matt

matt Active Member

Yes plzz

9. JD

JD Active Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites
    Matt

10. vino

vino New Member

Don't think you're going without me bitchez!

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites
    Matt
    Vino (can't do March, April is good)

• Like Like x 1
  11. abv

abv Active Member

I'm definitely up for this but not if it turns into a 50 bike multi-forum extravangaza. Keep it small and friendly and do more than one if demand is that high. That's my 2p worth any hoo.

12. vino

vino New Member

10 points to abv for the use of 'extravaganza'. I love that word. 10-15 bikes is probably optimum per group (based on my experience with Wheeltrax in Germany). No reason we could split it in to 2 or 3 groups if it gets popular?

13. abv

abv Active Member

Cheers :smile:

Forgot to add my name to the list...

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites
    Matt
    ABV

Also, for anyone who doesn't know it, the drop off system is great for trips like this.

It works like this...

Ride-out will usually have a lead rider, and a back marker.

Whenever we get to a change of direction, left turn/right turn/roundabout etc, the lead rider will point to a specific position at the road side and the second rider must stop there and direct the remaining bikers into the right direction.
    When the back marker arrives the second rider will pull out in front of the back marker and rejoin the ride.
    Don't worry, the back marker will have made allowance for you to pull out, and will probably flash his/her lights as they approach.
    It helps to know what the back marker will be riding and how he will be dressed, for easier recognition.
    It also helps to know how many bikes are in the ride, so that you can count them by, while waiting for the back marker.

The system is incredibly simple and efficient, especially once you've done your bit as a "drop-off" to mark the route, and can see how easily it works.

Before we set off, the lead rider will have a talk with everyone to ensure we all know who the lead-rider and back-marker are.
    It is the lead-riders decision as to whether or not overtaking is allowed in the ride-out. You will also be advised of the pace of the ride. These points are usually dependant on how confident riders are, how many of the riders have ridden together before and are comfortable with which pace.

Some riders may not feel confident enough to be a "drop-off", so overtaking may be allowed.
    If it is, it is up to the person overtaking to ensure that they do so with consideration to the bike they're passing - absolutely no cutting up, and no blasting pass with inches to spare, and make sure the rider in front is aware of your presence by making sure you are visible in their mirrors.
    Likewise, it is important to keep an eye on your mirrors and if you see someone "making progress" and if it looks like they want to get past, pull in a bit (if safe to do so) to give them space to pass. Pulling in is a great indication to the rider behind that you've seen them, and you're happy for them to pass.
    You'll get to know, after a short time, who are the faster riders.

If you are going to overtake then don't forget to indicate and have a quick glance over your right shoulder. It just make things a bit safer when riding in a pack, and also notifies the person behind you that you may pull out, as they may be planning to overtake you.

If the ride gets too stretched, the lead-rider will probably pull in at a lay-by to allow everyone to regroup

This system enables riders of all abilities to enjoy a ride-out together, and no-one ever needs to feel under pressure to keep up. If the ride spreads out over 5 miles, so be it - we'll be able to re-group anyway.

Text shamelessly stolen from 1stGarry @ BHB

14. JD

JD Active Member

What I had in mind when I posted this was getting as many 'blades as possible on this (not to the exclusion of other bikes though) but if smaller groups are preferred that's cool, I'll leave that up to individuals to arrange. The fun for me is getting loads of bikes riding down the coast road to LT. It worked really well when I did it with the GJs. Remember, it's only a day trip and not to be compared to longer distance trips.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites
    Matt
    ABV

i ll be up for it..... fairly flexible with dates.....

16. JD

JD Active Member

JD
    Jimbo Vills
    Tucker
    Rob
    Dan.1moore1
    Nutty Tart
    lillywhites
    Matt
    ABV
    Repsol Rob

17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

As I said on the previous thread, Id heard about jd's trip before I met him and people said it was immense...

Le T isn't far as Jd said, and for a one off ride out, think the more the Merrier would be best!

Wouldn't even consider it for anything longer than a day, but as a one off, hell yeah!

18. JD

JD Active Member

ABV, the 'drop-off' system is nowhere near as complicated as that guy made it sound, it would be enough to put me off lol.
    It's much more flexible and therefore more enjoyable. Depending on the decision on one group/smaller groups, we can cover it again nearer the time.

JD

19. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I'd be up for a Fireblade only trip next year?

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Be careful going on tour with Meg's. Here is a story related to me, verbatim.

SLEEPING WITH MEG's

The guys were on a bike tour. No one wanted to room with Meg's, because he snored so badly. They decided

it wasn't fair to make one of them stay with him the whole time, so they voted to take turns.

The first guy slept with Meg's and comes to breakfast the next morning with his hair a mess and his eyes all bloodshot.

They said, "Man, what happened to you? He said, "Meg's snored so loudly, I just sat up and watched him all night."

The next night it was a different guy's turn. In the morning, same thing, hair all standing up, eyes all bloodshot.

They said, "Man, what happened to you? You look awful! He said, 'Man, that Meg's shakes the roof with his snoring. I watched him all night."

The third night was Jonny's turn. He was a tanned, older biker, a man's man, a Ron Burgundy kind of man.

The next morning he came to breakfast bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

"Good morning!" he said. They couldn't believe it.. They said, "Man, what happened?"

He said, "Well, we got ready for bed.

I went and tucked Meg's into bed, patted him on the arse, and kissed him good night on the lips.

Meg's sat up and watched me all night."

With age comes wisdom.

• Like Like x 4