leaky clutch cover, but not the gasket. hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by bongo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. bongo

bongo Active Member

Hey all, i've found a very small amount of oil coming down the rear of the clutch cover on my 09'. I figured it was a bad fitting cover as it's regularly been off and on due to the odd crash, maintainance of clutch etc etc over last season, so i removed the cover, cleaned it all up and honda bonded it back on, 100% certain it was a mint fit.

(Not before dropping the clutch pull lever spring into the sump and having to remove the bastard exhaust and sump to get it, so i goo'd that back on nice as well lol)

Anyway, it's still showing this small amount of oil and for the life of me i can't find where it's from.

I have a friend in Fowlers who is bringing me an oil seal tonight for the clutch puller arm (the arm that the clutch cable hooks onto). The seal sits in the cover where the arm goes in.

Has anyone else had oil come from here?? I presume it must be from here, but if it's not, i'm gonna have to drop the engine to see. It loses such a small amount it is not even measurable, but it needs to be right.

Cheers peeps, Bongo

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Three bond mate or Blue Hylomar :)

3. bongo

bongo Active Member

what about it?
    The clue is in the title lol, not the gasket!

#3 bongo, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Oh yeah....lol stupid phone... ;)

Ok so now I read it propped like, no....not had that before...lol and yep I reckon you have it sussed..lol I'll go back to my box... :)

#4 arthurbikemad, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Is the seal on the oil filler good, I had an issue with my gixxer, no leaks when stood still, did a good ride out and oil film all over the cover and exhaust

6. bongo

bongo Active Member

Cheers guys. Hopefully it'll do the trick, just a pain in the ass again having to clean all thae honda bond off when i get the bastard cover off again!

A whole £3.76 for the seal/needle bearing combo though, big money, hope it fixes it lol. The o ring on the filler cap is mint Shameless yeah, cheers though :)

Good job i love a good tinker!

7. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

You say the leak is at the rear of the clutch cover? Are the dowels (2) correctly positioned they are slightly off center as these covers dont have a gasket. That odd crash may have a hidden clue. check cover and crankcase more closely. Good luck bud.