Learning basic Bike Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Remal, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

If it's not broke don't fix it. But I would like to be able to do the basics with a bike. best place to learn? Local mate? or anywhere else?

I know it's not rocket science but I've never had to take a wheel off before. if the bike needs a new Tyre I take it to a place and they replace and fit the wheel back on :eek:

Same with lifting the tank to wire in heated grips maybe or wire in a GIpro gear indicator I got.
    Yes I know I'm a wuss. Just don't like to take things apart if I've not in the past. Car's not a issue. Bikes i'm just unsure with.

Most I have done is remove the back of my speed triple to wire in a undertray, lights etc... I would like to be able to confidantly remove the wheels first. 1 so I can clean them better and 2 so I can just take the wheels to a fitted to add the tyres

So Any handy info very much welcome.

2. tucker

tucker Active Member

Mate if cars aren't a problem for you then bikes will be a doddle just a little fiddly but easy mate

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Agreed But taking a wheel of a bike is not as simple as a car. So there are big differences, and why i'm not confidant in changing the tyres

4. tucker

tucker Active Member

I agree mate but it is fairly straight forward honestly maybe your local dealer might demonstrate it all to you of you ask them ????

5. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

good idea and cheers

7. graham1531

graham1531 Active Member

practice makes perfect, the more you do something, the more confident you become, taking the wheels off is a doddle if you have the correct tools, ie: paddock stands, decent socket set, spanner set, hex stubs for front wheel, and thats it

8. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Have the service manual to hand to refer to and for all torque values, decent basic tool set ( 1/2 & 1/4 " drive sockets allen and hex key sockets a selection of spanners and a torque wrench ) If taking something apart for the first time a camera is invaluable for taking pics as you dissmantle then you can refer back to the pics when reassembling, and lastly i'd say take your time, there's no rush, enjoy the challenge .. :)

9. abv

abv Active Member

If you capable on a car then a bike should be no problem. As others have said refer to a manual, have the correct tools, taking photos is a good idea and allow anough time for the job. All of which also applies to car maintenance.

10. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

When removing your wheels make sure the brake calipers are out of the way, they love to chip your paint on the wheels, when replacing the back wheel have piece of wood say 4" x 1" ramped up onto a piece of 2"x2" below the swing arm connection point. Roll the wheel on to it then use it to help lift the wheel up straight to get the spindle bolt in. You can get your foot under it to take the weight of the wheel. Sorry I wish I had a photo to show you what I mean. It just allows the hands to be free to push the spindle, ensure spacers are correct, and feed chain over the sprocket easily.

11. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

It is easy to work on bike but it is best if you can practice on something older so if you fook up your mint bike isn't scratched etc, this is how I started u have no bike qualifications at all, although I do have a city n guilds in electrical and mechanical engineering.

I think your either mechanically minded or your not.

I'd happily do anything to
    My bikes but u can only go so far before your tools will limit you.

I service all mine if one ever gets to need valve clearances done I'd get a dealer to do it.

Funnily enough my mate had a slow high side on his GSXR 6 2 weeks ago its just been dropped off at mine I'm
    Gonna strip it clean source all the broken parts and replace for him.

It's all pretty much bolt on bolt off on a bike.

Just concentrate on where bits come from if their gonna be off any length of time. Freezer bags and Chinese rake away tubs are fantastic fir keeping all your bits organised.

Always handy to have the workshop manual especially when it comes to lignin bits back up like inner fairing etc just as an aid memoir at times for peace of mind, sometimes even when u get something in the right place it looks odd or right.

And if all else fails you have the best tool of all, the Honda community at your finger tips.

Sir Arthur is priceless and Colin to oh and Craig just knowledge and experience is priceless!

12. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

i work with spanners all day in another trade, but mechanics are a different game. i use to say leave it to the proffesionals, but i consider myself very lucky to have Bats as a mate and being very local to me, i can call on his expertise on every occasion, its just having the balls to do it, the work that is not to call Bats ;)
    we are now working at a level where i do most of the work but pointed in the right direction and given hints and tips along the way, if its too technical i will get moved to one side, but the satisfaction is imense when you stand back and know its your hands thats done the job :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Now thats what I call a dead keen biker.
    Have serviced, tweeked and rebuilt over 1500 blades as a hobby for mates forum and clubs.
    My services are free of charge except parts. The owner gets involved with the service and shown what and how to do it, some who have basic mechanical sense picked up very quickly all beccause they were shown which you would never see in a garage or some of the abuse. They now service their own bikes and show the less fortunate and so the show goes on. Have nine booking early next year and you are welcome to have
    a look round and get involved if you wish, the only condition you have to fast on the brews Remal. lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. Benn The Pig

That's an offer worth it's wait in gold master blader has a point.

I dont trust most people to treat my bikes with the love and care I do so I'd rather do it myself!

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers guys. know I know I can get the manual via here. But i prefer a good old paper manual myself. Worth getting the blade one? I have looked and seems Haynes don't do a 08 and newer blade which is a shame as I find them handy. would a older blade manual be ok?

16. Benn The Pig

No u need bike specific one get the disc off eBay for 3£ they are brilliant

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I got the manual on PC but still old fashioned and like a paper manual. Saying that I could see if I could put it on my ipad and sue that?

18. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

If your unsure, Watch someone do it first, Then whilst they are still there do yours infront of them copying what he did with him watching you.

19. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Yeah put it in the PDF section in IBooks mate

I have mine in there . Best thing is you can search in Ibooks so you don't have to go swiping through the pages

Otherwise just get the manual printed to paper

20. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

The carbed blades had a cavenous engine well and a pleasure to work on in comparison, the injector blades are more compacted especially the later ones where accessibility is time consuming. Checking valve clearences at 16K with a feeler gauge and not what some dealers do by ear but charge the manual rate.
    One member got a quote of £560 plus vat for the full service in this day and age of deep reccession that dealer will not be dealing for very long. Any wonder why bookings are coming in from several forums.
    So a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL 1000rr MEMBERS hic-hic burp