LED Headlamps

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by mikesouthby, Apr 11, 2015.

1. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Active Member

Has anyone tried or had any experience with using aftermarket LED headlamps, I don't mean the LED look ones but the actual LED replacements such as the CREE or ETI units? I have been thinking about upgrading my headlamps for a while and don't want to have to go through the faff of installing ballet packs for HID units, we have LED headlamps fitted to our car and they give a brilliant output so wondering whether I should take the plunge and get some lamps for the Blade but reluctant at over £50 a pair unless I am confident they'll do what I am expecting.

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Personally I went down the HID but I would expect LED to become the way to go as time goes on. Would be good to see a thread on them if you go for it.

3. mikesouthby

Thanks. I had read a number of threads on more generic motoring sites and general feedback is that they are pretty amazing with a higher output than HID without extra current draw, but I haven't found anything on any bike forums of such, guess the technology is still fairly new and only just catching up with HID. My only concern - hence wondering if anyone else have tried - is clearance behind the lamp as they use a heat sink.

4. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Would you not need new reflectors or lens to give you a correct pattern as the Cree chips project light differently to glass bulbs.

5. mikesouthby

I don't believe so. I have been looking at some ETI powered lamps (an alternative to CREE) and the lamps appear to offer the same light dispersal as conventional halogen lamps. My concern is more the clearance at the back of the lamp.

There is a load of information here

6. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Hmmm,does the Ducati not have led headlights? Smaller lamps with more of a proper lens to focus the light. Still,be interesting to see if they did come up with a viable direct bulb replacement and what the results are. Surely a Cree unit wouldn't produce any more heat than a halogen lamp so cooling shouldn't be an issue.

7. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I have an led in my high been side

8. mikesouthby

The light output itself does't produce any heat - at least its negligible - but the chip and controller module do hence needing the heatsinks. I was reading a couple of articles from some custom car forums and found some comparisons between standard halogen, HID and LED (the lamps linked in the eBay item above) and the LED knocked socks off both for light emitted. If only they fit I think I might get a pair but I haven't had a proper look in behind my lamp holders yet ('12 model) and I have a sneaky feeling that with the heatsinks they simply won't fit which would be a real shame as they would literally by plug and play replacements to OEM.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikesouthby

Which model Martin? How do you find it? Be interested to know your experiences and thoughts.

10. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Be good to hear what people have to say that have taken the chance and bought these led lights. What bothers me is that these units only seem to be on sale on eBay and I haven't seen any reputable retailers selling them.
    It's all about the pattern of light for me as the bike gets used all hours.

11. mikesouthby

I'm with you on the all hours bit which is the main reason I am exploring ideas. Riding a bike is dangerous enough without struggling to see in poor light and bad weather. As I mentioned in my original post I have factory fitted LED headlights in the car and they are amazing at night time so I am just thinking about whether I can get the same effect for the Blade. I'm certainly not an expert in lighting but surely the lamp itself, within reason, simply emits light and it's the reflector that decides on beam pattern? Take for example the dipped and full beams, both use the H7 lamp and yet the output is totally different!

I'm generally cautious about the stuff imported from China too until I remind myself that my iPhone and iPad are both made in China (as is my Thinkpad I think), the factories in China are more than capable of turning out quality stuff but it's down to the customer who specifies a cost/quality compromise. I guess it's true to say that most parts coming out of China are produced to a budget, but not all.

You're absolutely right though, you pays your money you takes a chance. I'm just summing up whether £50 is worth the risk :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blackness

Blackness Active Member

Send me a link on what bulbs you reckon and whats needed and i'll have a go on mine ;)

13. mikesouthby

The link is here, but PLEASE, have a look behind your lamps first and see if you think they'll fit, don't want anyone wasting money if they are clearly too big! I'm going to do the same when I get home next week to see if they are a goer.

14. Blackness

Blackness Active Member

Nice one dude...

That is an intriguing looking little fecker, isn't it ! Does give dimensions thought does it !?

That'll give me something to think about... I'll let you know if i take the plunge !

15. mikesouthby

I know. I am wondering a) if it will fit and b) what would happen if I removed the heatsink if it won't. The problem is when I get an idea in my head and its some form of gadgetry I find it hard to resist. The main problem is I can't find any information in bike forums, just loads in car forums. All the stuff I have read there is good...

Decisions. Decisions.

16. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

In your car are the Cree chips facing out the way and use a specially developed lens to focus the light or are they mounted sideways on a pole to imitate an H7 filament bulb with shaped reflector and plain glass front?
    I've got a couple of Cree torches and the output is superior to standard bulb technology,but they both have shaped lens designed for Cree chips,not a reflector and flat glass front.
    Without a factory designed fit I can't help but think an H7 led bulb is just an imitation and you'd get better usable light from a quality H7 filament bulb.

17. Blackness

Blackness Active Member

I know what you mean mate... I had the same thing when i got it into my head about rearview cameras and no mirrors ! I now realise why manufactures still install mirrors :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blackness

Blackness Active Member

Actually, no, now reflecting back on the camera, I'm fitting angel eyes ;) haha

19. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

You tart! :D

20. Mickydove

Mickydove Active Member