Left or right

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BLAGGERS, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Which do you prefer, left handers or right? All my mates and me are right handed. They all prefer right hand corners, but i struggle slightly to get into position when hanging off. I'm ok when roundabout surfing, cos i got all the time in the world to shuffle about. But left handers are so much easier, they just feel natural.
    Based on the above, can i go anti clockwise round the track please? Lol

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Left all day always have since I started riding. no idea why just prefer and more comfortable with lefts. So when road riding the chicken strips go first on the left then right after

3. BLAGGERS

Are you right handed remal?

4. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Left hand corners all day long, I am also left handed in everything except Golf with I play right handed which might explain my high handicap!
    I solved the roundabout thing by just going the wrong way round

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Yes mate,

And sod off if your going to ask me what my fav past time in with my right

6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Right handers for me just feels more natural to me than left handers.... I am right handed :)

7. Barmbyblade

Barmbyblade Active Member

Any, it's never really bothered me that much, maybe cause I'm right handed, left footed and brain centred, what the road ahead offers I'll take it.

8. BLAGGERS

Er...... twisting summat? :D

9. vino

vino New Member

Left all day long. I used to have a real issue with right handers (apparently it could be down to a psychological association developed in childhood by fall off a bicycle on the right hand side).

I booked a trackday on the Brands Indy circuit. After a full day of right handers, I'm now fixed. Still prefer left handers.

10. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Most people will prefer right handers due to roundabouts, most tracks and driving on the left means you have better vision going into rights than left.... How many of you slow down for blind lefts for fear of running wide and meeting the oncoming car? Not so much of an issue in right corners!

Also something to do with most being right handed, dominant side of brain, but I don't have a clue about that...

As for me? I'm rubbish at both lol

11. BLAGGERS

did a ron haslam race school at donny, after a couple of laps i was ok. but back on the roads i was crap again.

12. abv

abv Active Member

Prefer right handers always assumed it was due to being right handed but what Jimbo said makes sense too.

13. BLAGGERS

Agree with the vision thing, but i still prefer lefties, even though i'm right handed.
    ????????????????????? probably just me being an awkward sod as usual.

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm left handed and prefer left hand bends. It just 'feels' easier to fall into them. Jimbo's right about rushing headlong into a blind corner, but as the scars I carry will attest, I tend to have that thought from the apex onward, I'm afraid. The bike does feel like it naturally drops to the left where it feels like I have to pick it up to drop into a right hander.

Generally though, my riding style is cack handed.

15. Hobey600

Hobey600 Active Member

i'm right handed, but much prefer left hand bends. dont know why but turning right feels awkward, there was a time if i had to turn right i would go around the block turning left to get to where i needed to be!! Dave clicked on and started going in front of me and making me take every damned right turn he could find, every roundabout ..... yup we turned right. I remember thinking its a good job we dont have intercoms, i dont think he would have been able to concentrate himself with me calling him every b*****d under the sun!! still prefer lefties but dont get palpataions at rights any more lol.. (funny i remember learning to drive a car and i was exactly the same then!!)

16. BLAGGERS

i did have a bit of an 'off' as a kid on a right hander. was showing off, as ya do, riding none handed at a fair rate of knots, leant over to turn right and the front tucked. They had just finished re pebble dashing the road. My mum was picking stone chips out of me for days. looool.

17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You're not Derek Zoolander, are you?

Perhaps it's the opposite of what Jimbo was saying. A left hander will give you the most amount of run off area. Ignore the threat of oncoming vehicles for a moment and just think about the space you have to drift into. Psychological, perhaps, but Devon Hedges are just mud banks six feet high with trees as rebars and they'm bloody hard you. I'm happier with 20 feet of space between us when I'm feeling for grip.

18. BLAGGERS

ok, just found a site which may explain corner preferences. It implies that it is down to having a dominant eye. ie: if your right eye is dominant then you will naturally favour left hand bends as you can see further round them. except me, because i hang off like a bloody monkey, a bit like jamie whitham, so when i go round a lefty my chin is in the hedge!

19. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Im right handed and prefer left hand bends

20. blade65

blade65 Active Member

+1 on that, too.