Limitations of a iMac

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok a iMac is probably out, I was looking at getting :

Ok after 20 years of using a PC I was looking at a iMac. would be used for everything but including putting family vids onto the imac which is HD, then transferring to a Blu ray.

talking to the nice lady at the Bristol Apple store and when I asked the above I got a yes you can sir. OK who can U add say 2-4 hours of our Florida holiday vid onto a iMac then onto a Blu ray.

Applpe: Sir our iMac's Run full HD screen or having a Higher res then HD.

Me: but they don't have blue ray.

Apple: Yes but they can play HD movies?

me: But only if they are downloaded via Itunes though?

Apple: well yes.

me: so they won't be able to allow me to upload HD video and put onto a Blue ray disc, only AVCHD which would give me 50 mins of HD video on a DVD. or having to have say 3-5 DVD's for our few hours of Holiday Videome:

Apple: Yes your right sir, they won't do that

seem's i'm back to looking at a New PC

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

iMac NOT for me at all! Talk to Zeepony via PM he will tell you the limitations of the new iMac and the new displays problems in the real world..

Get a FAT PC with SSD hard drives and truly fly :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've kept out of this one as my views are well known and each to his own. But the truth is you buy into the Apple mythos when you buy Apple, body and soul and if you don't want to do things the 'Apple' way, you just get the Stepford Wife, David Koresh smile and "No sir, we don't do that sir". Spooks the bejesus out of me and keeps me PC.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

i posted this on another forum and before anyone asked I did not know anything about the iMac before I went into the shop today

also just bought a Nexus 7, lovely bit of kit

5. fordy99

fordy99 Member

Hi Remal, I'm a big convert to Apple. I was a PC guy thru and thru but got increasingly frustrated with the power needed (and therefore cost) to do relatively simple things. Since moving over I haven't looked back. iMacs do not have blu ray, but it depends on your usage model. Is it going to be your main TV? If yes then Arthur is probably right, if it is to cut blu ray DVDs then again Arthur is right. But if you want to edit video and play around with it then iMac is the way to go.

Is the source material recorded appropriately, if not then blu ray won't help - but I guess you already know that

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

any recontamination

my 4Yo PC still has a good CPU, 8gig of ram and 1Tb HD so was bloody good when I got it.

I like Alienware but it's fecking expensive and seems often due to the name

7. fordy99

fordy99 Member

Blimey that's a good spec, but that's my point. The iMac can do the same stuff with less horsepower - except blu ray of course ;).

• Like Like x 1
  8. arthurbikemad

I'm sure I've said Zeepony twice today but his man who does his workstations for 3D studio max and Adobe premier has a flat out PC for sale huge ram and CPU etc PM him for spec. AW are DEFO over priced and tbh if I were out for a fast PC first thing I'd look at is what graphics gards are around, then CPU, main board, propper ram, SSD, Ray, case etc etc...spec it mate then look online at Novatech etc they can build it up and preload and test for you if you wanted... ( I used to do just that once for myself ) I guess the BIG question first is how much you spending, for the price of a new Mac you can build a fair PC... like you my quadcore, Dual SLI NVideas, RAID etc etc are still ripping for three years or more now..

9. Si.

Si. God Like

Add a bluray drive. :D

I mainly went for iMac because of windows failures, BSOD etc and inconsistent performance, de-fragging etc.... plus, i got sick of having the tower, monitor, cabled mouse and keyboard and wires everywhere.... and noise from the fans...

The mac is an all in one solution, you either love them or hate them, and for gamers, pc is still king (i'm not a gamer). I'll never buy a pc again, mainly because of my OCD neatness and apple products are sweet looking.

#9 Si., Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. arthurbikemad

11. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Just to add my 2 pence. Yes I agree the decision to get rid of outputting to discs by Apple is a bit premature.
    They did exactly the same with floppy drives and CDs but were not missing them...are we?
    But the main point is, you can ouput to DVD or bluray from a Mac by simply using a great piece of software called TOAST!
    hope this helps

12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

So as you can see, there are no limitations to an iMac.

With an iMac you can be whatever apple want you to be.

• Like Like x 2
  13. damodici

damodici Active Member

I'd purely been using pc's up until 3 years ago when I joined my company, this was when I first started also using macs.

I have a Mac Pro laptop at work, I have two types of iPhones (1 work 1 personal), my iPad(personal), the server at work is mac based and the entire studio uses macs (all updated along the way)

Macs are superb for designers, for people who want to use illustrator & photoshop. They look nice, they feel nice...... But I'm afraid that's where it stops for me.

It's pure myth that they're better at everything than a good pc nowadays, for the price of a mac you'd get a far far better pc and everything would work on it. It would also be easy to upgrade with the latest chip set, more ram, more memory, newer drives, you name it. Try that with a mac!

A lot of people buy in to some mythical coolness with macs, they're 'fluff over function' are much more restrictive than people think.
    My MacBook Pro for example drops in and out of wifi constantly, the USB ports are so neatly parked next to each other that you can only use 2 out of 3 slots due to the actual USB plugs being slightly wider than that space allows (they won't all fit in next to each other) and that's just the start of its form over function concept.

Admittedly they're OS 'used' to work better than some windows releases but I'm afraid that ship has long since sailed and apple are pretty average at the moment. with new software releases being FULL of bugs and new products not really being new (look at the 'new' iphone for example......it's a stretched iphone 4) I'm afraid I've seen the light and that once lovely glow of an Apple product no longer exists for me.

My mrs has also just left the world of apple and bought a Samsung galaxy s3, its a remarkable product and far far better than my iPhones. The android software is better and the thing works faster. Best bit is she's not locked to its current size either, I can happily go out and buy her another 32gb of storage for less than £35, and then another if she wants more. I truly think apple have ran their course of new funky ideas personally and the rest of the world has just woken up and gained pace.