Lots of critters about at the moment!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by edderby, May 21, 2020.

1. edderby

edderby Active Member

Just back from my first proper evening/night time ride of 2020 on my 'blade. Only went about 150 miles, but had to slow down for a deer on the road in front of me on the B676 somewhere between Melton and Colsterworth , and another deer in the road in front of me on the road through Bitchfield that's often in MCN and Ride pictures. Then ran over a baby rabbit on the same Bitchfield road (sorry, but it was swerving all over the place and I did try to miss it) and then a troupe of really big fat rats was crossing the A6006 by a farm around Shoby area West of Melton on the way back (unfortunately I managed to steer through the ratpack without turning any into roadkill).
    Shame I hit the baby rabbit, shame I hit no rats, but very glad that I missed both deer - that would have had me off the bike... This is my 3rd decade of riding motorbikes and I've only ever come across one live deer before. I think that the lack of traffic during covid lockdown must have resulted in them being less scared of being on the roads?
    Moral of my story is - take extra care when riding through the countryside in the dark at the moment!

#1 edderby, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

150 miles. That's my average yearly mileage :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Bit off on a tangent but my dad and I used carry rope and tarpaulin in our boots just in case we come across road kill (venison)
    As we cover the same roads every day we can ensure the meat is less than 12 hours dead.
    Hang it overnight to bleed, do a quick autopsy check for obvious diseases then butcher.

IMO the most sustainable source of meat,

• Like Like x 2