Loud bangs and oil consumption - bin it or fix it?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by FrozenFireblade, Jan 28, 2024.

1. FrozenFireblade

FrozenFireblade New Member

Hi fellow motorcyclists,

I have a 2006 Fireblade which I adore, but there are some problems with it. It's gotten to the point where I bought a brand new KTM 690 SMC R just to have some worry-free riding, but I find myself missing the Fireblade quite often. Based on the information below, any advice on my next steps?
    • Symptoms:
      • When letting off the throttle, 1-3 loud bangs emits from the exhaust
      • Oil consumption (haven't measured, but approx. 2 liters in 10 000 km / 6 200 miles)
      • Feels slightly sluggish at lower RPM.
    • Mileage: 46 000 km / 28 500 miles
    • Oil: Motul 7100 10W40
    • Service history: unknown before 36 000 km / 22 400 miles, in my ownership it has gotten a major service at authorized mechanic
    • Other mechanical changes:
      • cam chain tensioner replaced in my ownership
    • Mods that may be of relevance:
      • Arrow Alu. silencer
      • Rapidbike Evo*
    Both my tuner and my mechanic said "just keep going and check on the oil frequently". I asked the mechanic after the full service, they did not notice anything while checking valves and changing the oil etc. However, I happen to like these bikes a lot, and I would like to keep it as a classic bike in many years to come. So that's why I turn to the community. What would you do in my shoes?

* I had the Rapidbike Evo installed to see if that would sort out a fueling issue and eliminate the loud bangs, it did not.. it is a smart PowerCommander, as far as I've been told (meaning it can self regulate a little more).

Any thoughts are welcome and apricated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Sounds like it's popping on the over run when you shut off the throttle, common with bikes with an after market exhaust, needs to be mapped.
    As for it being sluggish at lower RPMs, have you changed the gearing at all?

3. Wes

Wes Active Member

So reading between the lines, she has had the valve clearances checked and a new cam chain within the last 6k miles. Nothing wrong there then.
    She’s using some oil and there’s a possible fuelling issue combined with feeling sluggish at low rpms are the points that need addressing.
    Just me, but I think that a compression test would tell me which course of action to take. Favourable results would have me looking at sorting the fuelling issue. I understand costs are involved but personally I’d make sure the engine is in a capable condition initially, then if she’s good I can proceed knowing I’m moving forwards with confidence.
    As for keeping it ?......I’d hope for a good result from my test and enjoy rejuvenating her back to how she belongs whilst having the luxury to ride another bike as I do it.
    Just my thoughts. They’re obviously not right for everyone though.
    Best of luck mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

As @Jay Floyd said, suspect the bangs and low RPM sluggishness is due to the exhaust change (and therefore losing the exhaust valve) and it now needing a proper map.

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

If it was my bike then I'd get it on a rolling road so they can check the low down power and also analyse the exhaust gasses to see if it's burning the oil.
    The bike itself look great in the pics, so I'd definitely get it checked out before condemning it.

6. FrozenFireblade

FrozenFireblade New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll prioritize a compression test. Any other relatively simple tests I could ask the mechanic to do? I am at a bit of a crossroads in terms of what I want to spend on it.

Last season it got new tires, Motomaster discs, Rapidbike Evo tuning kit, Rapidbike Quickshifter and a Brembo master cylinder. The sunk cost fallacy makes me wanna keep going, but at some point it's better selling it off for parts ...

I have toyed with the idea of parking it inside my parents barn and just taking whatever time necessary to pick it apart with James May-levels of meticulousness. :) But I'm not a mechanic..

Other things I've noticed, but forgotten to write down are:
    - Only the muffler is known to be aftermarket - I'm not sure of the rest of the exhaust system.
    - The muffler gets quite a lot of black soot.
    - Before the bike reaches temp after a cold start, tiny specks of what I assume to be oil shoots out the exhaust. It stops once engine is warm.

7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Hi, I have just fitted a race bike evo, and I think they are renowned for over fueling which is probably the causes of the pops and bangs, you can adjust the fueling in the software if have it loaded, I am not the best with software but it is so easy to use, Mine won't be out til summer so do not know how good the unit it is, I had a fiat stilo and the spec was max 1L per 1000 miles so I would not be thinking the engine needs changing or anything major at 1L per 3k miles, main thing is just listen to the engine, If it sounds ok and normal it probably is

• Agree Agree x 1