Macbook recommendation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Muffking, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

The missus has shown an interest in wanting a MacBook for xmas and I've found this one locally Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" (July 2011) 2.3Ghz Core i5 8GB RAM 320GB HDD | eBay

Now I've grown up with Windows and know nothing about the Mac, but this looks like a decent laptop.
    I always thought that the MacBook Pro was their top of the range, but the seller seems to have upgraded to a MacBook Air?

My question is how good is the one in the link and what's it worth?

[​IMG]

2. derick

derick Active Member

MacBook Pro is the top of the range. The air is much thinner and lighter but doesn't have a DVD drive.

They are really nice bits of kit. I have a 17" one which is running Linux and it was the best hardware I could get specs wise for the money at the time. Second hand values I using know, sorry. They do appear on eBay a lot though which should give you an idea of the typical costs. The OS is very easy to use but will frustrate a windows user by being slightly different enough. (Short cut keys etc). I would definitely buy another but I don't use windows or osx.

3. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

I think a Macbook Air is not really an upgrade, more like a transition from laptop to netbook, as the Air has no cd drive. A mac is totally diff to work with and most windows users will hate it. Good if you are into desktop publishing, which is where it was made most popular.

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

As above. The Pro is 'the' portable device of choice for the graphics professional and the 'macagensia'. The Air is an iMac you can tuck under your arm (but of course you wouldn't because the whole point of spending that much on a laptop is so others can see you have one).

• Like Like x 1
  5. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Exactly as Others have said!
    But, you or she has to be really honest as to what your going to do with it?
    are you going to sit it on a coffee table and browse Facebook and play online bumf (like my wife) she has a Macbook Air
    or
    Are you going to force it to work for a living with Photoshop, illustrator or the likes (unfortunately like me) I have the Macbook pro.
    They are bot great machines but to be honest I do lust after my wifes AIR after Ive lugged the pro into work.
    They are so solidly built but by heck they do weigh some.

The bad news is they are both gonna cost you as the prices do stay high...the good news is you wont have to upgrade next week like a PC!
    :)

6. Si.

Si. God Like

I bought my daughter a macbook pro in June. Fantastic bit of kit, fast and small. I was thinking of the air, but it does the same and looses the rom drive.
    Does everything she wants regarding imaging and movie editing for her art work and sciences and is lightening fast. Built very well too.

I got mine through my work for £890, if you know a student or someone who has a business, use the student discount for the macbook and software.

7. just_me _and _me _bike

If you go onto apple uk website they do recon ones, this doesnt necesarly mean its been used by someone n then sold back to apple, cud be the cover got damaged or the like and apple offer a guarantee aswell.

Mate bought an imac this way n his a website designer and saved over £500 :)

Anything with the " air " wording means its lighter n prob faster than its predecessor,

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Superleggera. Take shit off, charge shit loads more for what's left.

• Like Like x 2