Man Cave

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by t0m541, Jun 3, 2015.

1. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Due to my recent house move, I had to leave my ultra secure bike shed/man cave behind due to logistical nightmares.
    Anyway, after much soul searching and hours on Google, building of a bespoke cave was the only way forward.
    Stage 1 was the base...remove 50x50kg bags of clay and soil to allow the laying of the ex council paving slabs.
    Stage 2... The shed floor...after a lot of umming and arrring..I decided the best solution was to use 25mm decking onto 5 inch by 2 inch thick joists..sturdy and durable ..plus the dogs loved a stage to play on...

Next came the walls..cost effective, weather resistant and easy construction..
    Fence boards..8 foot long and 6 inch wide..however the total wall size comes in at 7 feet high and 14 feet long..doesn't sound much when said fast but once built and sitting on the floor, is quite imposing...and somewhat unwieldy.
    It's quite surprising how short the friend list is when you need help midweek..anyway, as the shed wall was now blocking the bike from being used as the daily commute, I decided that health and safety was best left at work and crawled under, the now dark oak, stained collection of timber and put my best shoulder forward.
    With a bit of engineering expertise I managed to get the wall in place, the roof rafters fitted and the end walls ready to build
    Just the doors to make and the roof to fit...
    I must admit...there was a moment when I thought.."if that chock of wood fails I'll be squashed here for the next 12 hours"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Greco

Greco Active Member

Hard work mate! When it is done just share a photo

3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

This I gota See! :D

4. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

5. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Cracking job. Do yourself a favour tho and when you get chance, remove the roofing sheets, get some 12 or 19mm ply, nail on top then refit the sheets back on top as they will sweat like fuck and it'll be wet in there with water dripping over everything. Alternatively get some 2-3mm wall board and tack to the underside with a layer of rock wool in between.

• Like Like x 1