Manual CCT setup advice please?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Broadie, May 17, 2023.

1. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Hi has anyone got any tips on setting up a manual camchain tensioner on a sc59?
    Will I be able to get my fingers or spanner in from the side or do I flip the tank up. Or is it tank out adjust and reassemble just to try it.

Many thanks

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

You need to create as much access as you possibly can.
    Bendy spanners and anything else you can get - you might get 1/8th of a turn from one angle and then you have to try from another.

Also make sure you keep the chain tight to avoid anything slipping out of phase. A screwdriver angled from below can do the job once you remover the inspection plate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Thanks Iain much appreciated.
    Any idea on a base setting? I was thinking in with fingers till it stops and back it 1&½

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

I doubt you will need to back it off, more like get it started at that stage then tighten it until you can hear it running quietly and no more.
    Then be prepared to tighten again after 1-2 k - ie no long trips after you do it - like I did!

To be honest though I would just get a new Honda auto one, there was a modded one a few years ago that is meant o be netter, which I did get but gave it to the guy who bought my bike last year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iain

Iain Active Member

I doubt you will need to back it off, more like get it started at that stage then tighten it until you can hear it running quietly and no more.
    Then be prepared to tighten again after 1-2 k - ie no long trips after you do it - like I did!

To be honest though I would just get a new Honda auto one, there was a modded one a few years ago that is meant o be netter, which I did get but gave it to the guy who bought my bike last year.

6. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

All done
    Tank off swapped it over, wound the adjuster in as far as I could with fingers. Then a little more with fingers whilst cranking over with no fuel tank.
    Fitted the tank in the service position started up and it was within ½ a turn of being sett.
    Tools were 5 or 6mm Allen key, 8mm socket etc, 17mm open end spanner, 6mm open end spanner
    Thanks for your advice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26624790...RfBCHLTSky&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

#6 Broadie, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

Cool, glad you got it done.

Just thinking back, mine got noisier on a trip to France, so not much I could do until I got home. Turned out it was one of the CCT bolts that worked it's way loose, along with a slight oil weep and noise again. So might be worth checking and making sure all is tight after a few hundred miles.

8. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Yeah easy enough to check with the tank up