Mce/Rac breakdown recovery joke!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by coz, Feb 12, 2013.

1. coz

coz New Member

How's this for taking the piss!
    On my way home from chichester yesterday felt a big clunk and the front forks started to shudder and shake, thought to myself oh s#%t flat front tyre. So pulled over at a random little house in the middle of nowhere and had a look, tyre was up and ok. Then realised the whole rim was a funny angle, dam wheel bearing had exploded! Thought ok I have RAC breakdown cover on my insurance I will give them a call, after 45 mins on hold I get to speak to someone, details of what happened etc etc, back on hold again as they guy says he has to speak to his supervisor, 10 mins later he comes back on the phone and says due to it not being a mechanical fault and won't be able to fix it on the side of the road so I'm not entitled to a RAC call out, he then says phone MCE and they should help. Ok I do that an hour on the phone to MCE and the guy I speak to says Did I have an accident, No was anyone hurt? No, ok I will put you on hold, 20 mins later, I'm sorry sir but your insurance doesn't over recovery for a non mechanical breakdown, you can log it as an accident and a recovery van might be out to you in the next 6-8 hours! At that point I had had enough of being dicked around and said thanks but don't bother!

So it seems if you have MCE insurance with RAC breakdown cover, For gods sake don't breakdown

2. JM1

JM1 Active Member

My advice, when contacting any breakdown recovery service, is to give them only the absolute bare minimum info and don't tell them what you think is wrong. You need to force them to attend and once they do, the driver is very unlikely to leave you there.
    I've called out the AA about 5 times in the last few years and the people on the phone are idiots, but the people who attend the scene are generally great.
    N.B. They have now increased my premium though as I've called them out too many times!!!!!!!!!!

3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

When I took out my insurance with MCE to be fare they told me the RAC cover was very basic and did I want to upgrade it? I'm with the RAC with my car and it covers me for my bike also, so I didn't need to upgrade. It's a bugger getting to know when you need help though:(

4. coz

coz New Member

Thinking about it, I should of kept my mouth shut on the phone and said I didn't know what was wrong with it, it's the first time in 15 years of riding I've ever had to call for breakdown recovery, and seeing as I'm moving tomorrow I have a van to shift it myself and the kind lady who's drive way it's parked on was very nice when I asked her if I could leave it until I get the van, I'm just glad it wasn't miles from anywhere

5. dave d

dave d Elite Member

off to check my policy,what use is a breakdown policy that doesnt cover breakdowns?

6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Top tip - always have a friend with a van

7. gray

gray Active Member

I joined mce and about 2 later bike wouldn't. Start at petrol garage phoned rac and they came started it and even waited to start it again after I fuelled up
    Couldn't fault them for me