Missing in action:

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I am under no illusions that you lot have not even noticed or care that I have been missing in action but just for the record:

I have been on a work related secondment to our Singapore office, but within a few days of arriving I got a call from my oldest sons university USA tour tutor that he was having “repeated panic attacks” meaning I had buy the most expensive plane ticket I have ever brought to get on the next available flight to New York, the fastest route was via Los Angeles’s and then on to the east to New York. I got there as fast as I could.

I don’t care about the cost my ticket, or the two tickets to bring him back to the UK early , what is important is he is back and we can deal with his problems as a family, We arrived back in the early hours yesterday morning. Who knows what this crisis might bring, it might even get my ex wife and I back on talking terms if only for the common good…..our two sons….I wont hold my breath but god willing.

Moral to the story…………If you think our bikes are important, they don’t even come close when it comes to our children………………

• Like Like x 6
  2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Oh dear, hope it's all goes ok.. Not nice at all worring about children. My eldest suffered with health related panic attack a couple of years ago. Seems to have settled now thank god.. Not nice at all. Hope everything works out for all of you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Si.

Si. God Like

I suffer from panic attacks, as does my daughter, regularly. All too often I get a call from her teacher so I can talk to her and reassure her. This usually helps, as well as her knowing she isn't alone and that her Dad gets them regularly. She sometimes has to come home and usually it happens in new social circles or exams, or the lead up to them.

They are horrendous and I wholly sympathise with your son and yourself.

if you want a chat, pm me for my number mate, no problem at all.

• Like Like x 4
  4. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Hope all goes well buddy your right I'd do anything for my kids money no object

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Hope everything works out for the best.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

As a dad you will always do whatever is needed for your children.

Hope things are sorted soon for your son

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Sorry to hear that, Freedom. It's a miserable thing to suffer from.

I had the same problem for years but beat it thanks to the help of a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about anxiety / panic disorders. People think that there's something wrong with them. That they have mental problems or something but it isn't about that. Panic / anxiety is a BEHAVIOURAL disorder. Your brain and body have become locked into a cycle of behaviour that results in panic. It's a bit difficult to explain in any depth on a forum but don't let the docs fob you off with pills (though they can help in the short term) or counselling.

CB Therapy is the way forward. It explained to me WHY I was having panic attacks, the physiology behind them, how to spot that they were coming long before they actually arrived and what to do when they did.

Oddly I've come out the other side of the whole thing better able to cope with stressful situations than other friends who've never suffered with panic because I can recognise anxiety in its nascent stages and know how to relax.

If you need any further info just PM me. It'd be lovely to be able to help if I can.

• Like Like x 5
  8. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Sorry to read that, really tough when your loved ones are having rough time. Sounds like you got the right perspective, and I'm sure he thoroughly appreciates everything you're doing for him.

9. navvy10

navvy10 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear of your family difficulties mate but think it is astounding the efforts you have gone to to be there for your son!

I hope it all works out ok and your son gets back to much happier times :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Fingers crossed David.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Doubt theres anything us motley lot can do mate....
    but if there is you know you only gotta ask!

Bikes are for the smile...Family is for the soul!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Hi David, hope your son is on the mend, I have experience of panic attack with a family member, they can be difficult to sort, time and a caring family is a good start! It's a good thing you have the means to respond from so far away. Regards to Ling

• Like Like x 1