Mobile phone/driving points set to double.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SIDEWAYS, Aug 9, 2014.

1. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Transport secretary is pushing for 6 points per conviction after consultation with the Met commissioner.
    Its about time they threw the book at idiots not using hands free kits etc.If these idiots realised how badly they drive they wouldn't do it.Lets hope it goes through cos its gets my goat up seeing them on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 7
  2. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

I'm with you, however they need to police it better and triple the fine if they are texting whilst driving !!

That said they need to define 'driving' better, as I've been done for using a mobile phone, but I was parked on the side of the road with my left indicator on ( engine running but parked up ) and the copper said due to the keys being in the ignition ( he knew because the indicator was flashing ) I'm in control of the vehicle ie 'driving'.
    3points £60 fine, insurance loaded for 5 yrs ! And the police wonder why the public dislike them ?

3. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Thats a bit harsh of the plod knowing that you have pulled over and have your indicator on to warn the traffic that you are there.If you had no lights on you are in more danger IMO.I think I would have been arrested for abusing that officer cos thats plain wrong.

4. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Good about time the police came down harder on these tossers. It's the ones that drive and text that get me so f***ing wound up, 9 points and £1000 fine may be a bench level to start at.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

get so annoyed when I see people without a care in the world not taking notice of the road, just pulling out in front of you while on the mobile. Yes happened to me often.

6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I think people like the parking attendants should be able to give out fixed penalty fines / points for seeing people using phones - they could just wear GoPro's to get the evidence.

Do you really need a highly trained and relatively well paid Police / Traffic officer to hand them out?

7. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Well I reckon we the public should get £50 per conviction by photo or video of idiots committing the crime.They would soon get off it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Could make a living out of that.

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were discussing a study that showed that people on a mobile whilst driving paid no less attention than someone having a conversation with a passenger. Didn't hear them discuss about when the person was dialling though.

10. Alblade

Alblade God Like

This may be true, but the person IN the car can see you are at a busy junction, about to pass a cyclist etc. and will pause the conversation / sense to shut up (well most do) - if you are on the other end of a phone you have no idea if the driver is joining a busy but flowing motorway down a busy slip road etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

As i commute to work daily and filter past a lot of traffic i see so many dix on there phones.
    I often wish my cam footage was admissible if they offered rewards to the public for evidence surely that would self police itself, lol

The worst thing i saw recently was one of our local single decker buses travelling slowly past a junction and the driver had his phone in the centre of the wheel texting
    The one time i didn't have me cam on me head too, i was fuming that he could do it and that i missed thevidence.

12. Black

Black Active Member

Using a mobile is no worse than smoking a cig when driving in my opinion. If using a mobile is wrong then certainly holding a smouldering roll of paper should be made equally offensive to peoples feeling of safety.
    My car has hands free and allows me to dial in much the same way as tuning the radio. So is making a call worse than finding some tunes? Probably depend on the tune
    You now have all this additional driver aids in your car but it's considered dangerous to use them. Crazy!
    There was talk recently of no one being allowed to talk to the driver as this might distract him. Where does it end?
    Oh and if looking for confirmation of the future check out you tube. There no end if Lycra clad muppets with GoPro gaffa taped to their heads, riding around shouting out car registrations of any motor vehicle which transgresses their moral sense of right, to make me want no part if it.

13. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

They are thinking of banning smoking while driving too :)

14. sinewave

sinewave God Like

It'll all be irrelevant soon enough when the Driver-less Cars currently being tested become legal.

Humans will be banned completely then outside of Track Days! :rolleyes:

15. Muffking

Muffking God Like

More bikers on the roads then ;)