Movie Howlers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by kpone, Nov 25, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Okay we've got a few well subscribed threads on what we're watching, listening and enjoying. One on TV guilty pleasures and somebody even started a, thankfully, short lived thread on the X Factor the other day. I'd like to bring up the subject of movie mistakes. Not the pedantic, anoraky, nasal whines of "I think you'll find that the time line of the film predates the release of that particular model of diesel locomotive by 18 months..." Or the poor stormtrooper banging his head on the Deathstar 'cos, face it, lots of accidents happen in the workplace. And certainly not the kind of mistake that interferes with the suspension of disbelief necessary for the majority of narratives, - I believe I did just see an elephant fly-.

No, I'm talking about the howlers. Example:-

I watched 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' last night and I'm willing, for the sake of the story, to accept that giant, sentient robot warriors work clamp in glove with American special forces to police the world's terrorist hot spots and the threat from outer space, but, in a scene where the transformers travel to Tranquility Base on the moon, the Eagle is still sat on the descent stage of the Lunar Module.

WTF!

Somebody spent an alarmingly large amount of money on this completely CGI sequence in the film, but more amazingly a massive amount of time rendering it on the computer. An amount of time when nobody noticed. These are Americans. This is their history. Their recent history. And it's not even as if its a point open to debate as Buzz Aldrin actually appears in the film so the producers do, at least, accept that he came home somehow.

Any body else got any to share?

2. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

As a Bond fan, my favourite is in Diamonds Are Forever, where the car enters a narrow alley on right wheels, and exits on its left wheels.

The director was on that Richard Hammond documentary recently, and explained they had filmed the car going into the alley, then he had to leave for some emergency back home... so a completely different crew were charged with filming the exit from the alley, and didnt think to check the previous film... gotta love the professionals!