Mr Haynes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barstewardsquad, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Just read that John Haynes the creator of the Haynes manual has died.

Maybe becoming less relevant these days, although still needed by me, but those books save me a lot of time and money* over the years.

*obviously not counting the tools I "needed" to buy.

2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Yep an icon and a legend.

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I've never bought one for my Blades, relying instead on downloaded Honda manuals. But I did inherit a Haynes for the little aprilias and I can understand how they've been such a success to both home and trade mechanics. I hope his legacy is perpetuated by a family member.

4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

As said, less need for them these days with the snowflake generation too tired to or too clueless to maintain their own vehicles, added to the fact that many of todays vehicles are too complex to be able to do too much yourself. RIP Mr Haynes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good point. I've often said that on removing the tank on my CB750 K1 (back in the days) we had a view of a set of coils and 4 plug leads. End of story. Easy access to tappet covers (17mm ring spanner), easy access to points and flywheel for timing marks. Today, it takes about 30 mins just to access the air filter!:rolleyes:

6. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

I did a web search and found Honda a manual for my bike. I like it because it has a readable wiring diagram.
    I have used Mr. Haines excellent products for many cars over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Elite Member

I have bought a Haynes for every bike I have owned starting with my mb5 then ar80 ive a r6 one a gsx1150efe a gsxr slad and gsxr srad zxr j2 fzr 600 foxeye ill have to check but think ive only not got them for my old kr1 rgv and my kx and cr crossers I keep them when the bikes gone and I just like knowing they are in the filling cabinet in my home office.

• Like Like x 2