My near miss

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Shameless, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Had a good ride out today until- and yes I was going a bit quick, , in real time it seemed like life had slowed right down

#1 Shameless, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Si.

Si. God Like

You overtook too early mate... The guy in the Mondeo probably didn't know you where there.
    That could have been nasty.

3. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

The last time that happened to me I kicked the cnuts wing mirror off. Logic told me he didn't need it cos he didnt use it.
    If you'd been on a black or HRC blade it wouldn't have been a problem.........you'd have been going @40mph slower.:D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Very true, a lesson learnt.

5. Stu

Stu Active Member

eep! That was close. Glad there was nothing worse than a raised pulse.

6. phantomx0_1

phantomx0_1 Active Member

Close one! ABS or not?

7. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

Oooooooooooooooo!!!!!

8. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Not got abs, the brakes were brilliant. If it had been my gixxer I dont think I would have slowed down enough.

9. Dicey

Dicey New Member

That had been scary kind!! my mate wasn;t so lucky 6weeks ago him and his 10 year old son out for a run on his repsol blade( just 6mnths old 2011 model) car pulled out o junction mate smashed into him he;s broken leg thigh bone had pin put through it and son broken rib and deep cut to shin (caused by armour in leather hospital thinks) bike written off, they were both very lucky car driver never seen him. treat them all like thy are blind!!

10. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Its anticipation and difference in your speed and that of other vehicles - your approach was (guessing) double their speed - easy done when 'in the grove' to blast on were you indicating in good distance to pull out (just makes you show up better, 08 bikes are ace for this with the high level indicators - that looks like an 06 in red?).

At least you did not lock up the front on gravel / dust and slide under car!

11. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Fcuk me!!!! I bet there is a nice big arse shaped bite mark out of your seat or a brown go faster stripe coming of the sides!
    Glad your reactions were quick enough mate, that will calm you down for a couple of weeks

• Like Like x 1
  12. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Did u have words with him ?? or gestures ?

13. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

I pointed out what mirrors are for, but I was as much to blame. Happy days no one got hurt, learn from it and carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. phantom

phantom Active Member

I remember my car test only a few years ago and part of it was look indicate , look manoeuvre.
    he obviously thought he was going that fast he didnt look for someone maybe passing him.
    okay you might have been going fast but he still didnt look the tw@

15. Moily

Moily Active Member

Actually it's MIRROR - Signal - Manoeuvre! i.e only indicate once you know you can start the manoeuvre. The number of times I've seen cars indicate and then start to maneouvre before then looking to see if it's ok to do so. :mad:

Also, drivers need to understand that indicating is a signal of your intention to manoeuvre BECAUSE it's clear - NOT "I've indicated so you've got to make space to let me in" :rolleyes:

I swear, Britain has the WORST car drivers in the whole of Europe. Riding down the A1 is like riding abroad as EVERYONE is in the right-hand lane. Fine with me as I can move swiftly past them in the inside lane.

The 4-lane stretch of the A1(M) at Peterborough regularly has cars in the 3rd lane when all 4 lanes ahead of them are empty. It's tempting to sit right behind them until they pull back to the correct lane but most are so ignorant they wouldn't even know you were there anyway. Shame the numerous police cars that patrol that stretch don't do anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Mirror signal MIRROR maneouvre.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Cracking footage from your camera though (go pro) ??.........would have been your nemisis in court ! ;) !

18. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Bullet cam bought from Steve Betts. First time I have used it properly. trying to find a good set for trackday footage. I think it needs to be higher to get the lean angles but not looking at the clocks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plake

Plake Active Member

Glad you're OK mate, could have been utter misery.

Had exactly this happen to me on my way to Norfolk on Saturday. 2 lanes into 3 Lanes with lane 3 empty, pulled out of lane 2, full throttle in second overtaking into clear motorway, dozy bitch in an espace pulls out into lane 3 with no warning and for no apparent reason. Rode into the ABS.

Really similar proximity of miss. Shat my pants.

20. phantom

phantom Active Member

had the same happen today ffs,
    van changed lanes while I was passing him.
    braked that hard I started doing a rolling stoppie up behind
    him.needless to say I waved to him when I passed him ;)