My Other Two Wheel Hobby

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by exfire, Mar 2, 2014.

1. exfire

exfire Elite Member

As the weather has been a bit grotty for a while I have only managed a few rides on the Blade these last few weeks.

So I thought I would get my Mountain bike out and start to get fit and have some different two wheel fun. I ride Xcountry/Trails and I have some fantastic forest routes less than a 30 second ride from home.

Unfortunately, the Mountain bike has been neglected over the last two years in favour of modding the Blade. I took it out for a ride and realised it urgently needed some TLC.

So new chain, rear cassette, bottom bracket, crankset, pedals and rear tyre have been fitted and everything else given a good servicing. Bike now feels like it did when new some six years ago.

Went out on a nice but muddy route on a forest trail and was soon reminded how unfit I have become. I also realised I am not as brave (stupid) as I was and managed to get a bit more of an adrenaline rush than I wanted.

I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy cycling, so this year the time will be a bit more split between the two bikes and some more modding of the MTB.

2. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi I do the same although on a road bike got 600 miles in during February and only 280 on the Blade!
    Really enjoy both,took push bike in for a spruce yesterday clean chain,brakes check new wheels I had fitted and a free cup of tea at Solent cycles and the first service at 600 miles on the Blade will be about £120 and 50 p for the brew:eek:
    Hope you keep the pedal will make you feel better on Bike.
    Best
    Wozza

3. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

It is quite addictive isnt it! Plus it makes sure the leathers dont get tighter than they already are lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

5. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I do think being fit makes for better motorbike riding and the practice of balancing seems to make a bit of a difference as well. Two years ago when I was reasonably fit I used to manage 30 miles cross country without too much effort. At the moment I am feeling the 'pain' even on 5 mile rides, but it is just a case of putting the time and effort in to get fit again.

I had forgotten how expensive MTB bike parts can be, I had to go for some cheaper parts than I wanted......£600 for a crankset ! crazy money.

6. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

Yep, you can't beat a bit of pedal powered two wheel fun. Living in North Wales, we are kind of lucky with the surroundings for mountain biking in. I mostly do downhill, but think that this year a nice XC hardtail may be added to the fleet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Great area I wish my terrain was a bit hillier. I have Thetford Forest right next to me, one of the trails, the Black Route' is pretty demanding and has some nice sections where one little mistake will hurt a lot. I used to do it several times a week but won't be doing it again until I am fitter, maybe two to three months time.

My bike is full suspension, but I am thinking of getting a hard tail again, I sold mine when I got this bike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChrisOzzz

ChrisOzzz Active Member

Hey good to know there are some mountain bikers on here too. I love getting out on the mountain bike as much as I do my Blade!

Thetford is one of my usual Sunday morning rides exfire. Not that I'm that local but my parents are. Allot of the black route is closed at the moment, I think TIMBER are going to do a similar job on it like they've done on the red route. They've done a really good job & the proper surfaces will stand up much better.

I'll let you know when I'm planning a ride and we can meet up..

Ozz

9. restone

restone Active Member

Love my MTB ing especially as I live in snowdonia, do road, XC and DH and have beem racing DH at expert level for 10 yrs.......love it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clarkey

Clarkey Member

Yep I'm the same I love both but I've been modding the blade over winter and the mtb has taken a back seat