Need a new car GPS

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Well the wife has nicked my GPS for her car. My Tom Tom Xl and so i want to get myself a new one.

having had Garmin and tom tom I prefer the tom tom. but many different choice so What would people recommend? i've not bought a GPS for a few years so no idea what is good. Will be using it for Europe as well as the UK

So suggestions on the back of a post card please :D

2. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Get whichever one you're most used to Remal, I've always used Garmin's on the bike and the car, but our car fleet always had tomtoms bought for them, until last year when everything switched to garmins, the complaints continue to this day from people who'd used tomtoms for years and couldn't get used to the different layouts and functionalities.

Even though I think the garmins are easier to use and plan routes on I still have to listen to people who grumble that "the home button isn't in the right place, or I can't find McDonald's"

Have a garmin 2797 currently for the car and have to say the voice command function on it is brilliant and understands me every time, good for phone calls too.

3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

To be honest if you've got a smart phone just use that! I have an iPhone with Tomtom on it

4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Cheers for the replys and re the mobile, I only keep my phone for say 2 years. But my GPS for many many more years. Spend that bit more, have a dedicated GpS for the car. Just what I had and found best for me,

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I have a £45 unit from eBay.
    Whole of Europe and loads of other stuff, it's a windows ce mobile device with a 5" screen.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

got a link so i can see ? cheers

7. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ref the mobile all your apps including sat nav ones can be transferred from phone to phone, so if you have a samsung S3 now but get an S4 later no problem and like wise if your an apple fan and have an iPhone 4, 4s or 5!

And the good thing is they update the maps about 4 times a year with no extra cost! Where as some proper sat nav's you have to pay to update maps after a certain time.

Also there is the free range of say navs like navFREE which you can download for nearly every country and then delete off the phone when not using them, and have to say that the are pretty good maps too

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have a HTC android. now have a Iphone 5, no idea If will have another Apple when it comes to my next phone. So I would not like to get the app and have to get the Iphone 5.1101

9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

• Like Like x 1