New bike's arrived

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Oggy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Oggy

Oggy Member

Well, it's arrived and it looks even better in the flesh than I could of imagined, it's a beautiful bike, the finish, the attention to detail, it's just fantastic. But, do I like it more than my R1......... I don't know, is the long and short of it. It doesn't feel as angry as the R1 ( if you know what I mean?) but that's not a bad thing. When I got my R1 I just couldn't stop riding it, I'd find any excuse to take it out. The Blade on the other hand, well if only done 70 miles on it today and I'm happy to put it back in the garage. Maybe it's the case of It doing everything so well it's uninspiring? I understand it's still very early to make an honest and fair judgement, but after round 1, the R1 wins on points. I really hope it changes as time passes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The 'Blade is like a big dog Oggy. It does what it's told, when you tell it. If you tell it to go for it, it will, and leave you running along behind it gripping it's lead and holding on to your toupee. The R1 is like a big cat, angry at the world, happy to curl up on your lap when it's cold and more than happy to chase something around as long as it's bright, shiny, fast moving and offers the option of dismemberment when it catches up.

Oh yes, and it can bite you if it gets bored.

And now I've forgotten where I was going with this...

Get some pictures up you slacker.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Givover

Givover God Like

Don't forget dude, you are only running that sucker in at the moment at 6000 revs you are going backwards!

4. Oggy

Oggy Member

I think your discription hits the nail on the head Kpone :) I'll get some pictures up soon mate.

Givover, It's got 3000 miles mate, I can assure you, I wasn't taking it easy. But I think Kpone has discribed the two perfectly. Think I've just got to change my mind set.

5. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

[​IMG]

Let's see what your moaning about now shall we?!?!?!

;)

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's also worth pondering on what you yourself said in your first post mate. Nothing is any effort for this bike. It's not having histrionics at being thrashed or pootling through the village at 20 mph. There's a lot to be read into Honda's main excuse for not tricking it up with rider aids. "Why would we need to. The bike is set up correctly." There will be those that argue, this could be better and that could be better but it is the everyman's 1 litre GTi eater, right out of the box.

One day no bikes will be made this way.

7. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I think thats the reason why I changed the Blade for the Ducati, the Blade is amazing, i miss it, really, really miss it but it just didn't inspire me, it seems stupid to say it was too good as i changed a lot of kit to make it better, and if I had kept it there would have been more changes... but out of the box its one of the best real world sports bikes you can buy !

I still can't fully comment as I have not had enough time to gel with the 1098 but from the 150 miles so far it hates low speed town work, it doesnt start every time, the clutch is louder than the akra I had on the blade, but I look at it and know its a bit special... and when it works it is sublime the noise, handling etc

BUT I already know I would love to have a blade parked next to it in the garage for those days when I just want it to do what i want.

I test rode the R1 before buying the blade and loved it but felt it wasnt as smooth or easy to ride as the Blade .... turns out maybe I didnt want smooth and easy all the time ;)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

you have got to love the honesty in this post!! most people would be trying to kid themselves their new purchase is better than before...

it also sums up my thoughts completely of how i feel about my 2004 R1 and my 2011 blade (soon to be trackbike (ask Ken Why) ) .... love them both and the blade is the better bike by far.... but then thats if your judging on its ability to ride fast easy.

the R1 if im honest with myself, is just as fast on the road (i'm the limiting factor) harder to ride that fast, but is more exciting and rewarding to do so!

if i was offered the two for free side by side... i'd take the blade.

funny old world ey!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oggy

Oggy Member

As I said, think it's just a case of me changing my mind set. Anyway, here's some pics.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    The biggest two toys in my toy box :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  10. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

looks lovely matey, if you hate it let me know Ill swap you the 1098s ;)

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

that looks lovely mate - def better than a new R1. what year did you have?

give it time.....

12. Oggy

Oggy Member

Will do Jamie ;) Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it,far from it, just got to get used to it. As it's been said here, the R1 requires you to work for your reward where the Blade just says, oh go on then here's your treat. Like today for example, I went over to one of my favourite roads on the north coast and gave it the beans. There was a couple of high speed corners where the R1 would say "come on you f@#ker give me your best shot, but remember I do want to hurt you" Now the same corner on the Blade, and he says " ok then and while we're going through the corner sir, is there anything else I can do for you?"

• Like Like x 3
  13. Oggy

Oggy Member

Got a 2005 Jimbo. Got a guy coming to look at it tonight. I'll be gutted in a way if I goes.

14. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Hi Oggy, bike looks awesome, my favourite colour scheme.

I know what you mean about the R1, I had great difficulty making my mind up about whether to buy a Blade oranother R1. My 98 R1 was a monster and nearly got me into lots of trouble. I think the R1 is a more aggressive bike and perhaps a bit more unforgiving than the Blade. I test rode both before deciding on the Blade, the main factors being I could ride the Blade faster and more safely than the R1 and I wanted a bike that would last me a long time and personally, I think the Blade will stay looking nice longer.

When I first rode my current Blade I was a little disappointed, it lacked the excitement of the recently departed Ducati and the awesome sound. As time has passed I have really grown to appreciate just how good the Blade is though. The Ducati sounded faster, but I am now taking corners at speeds on the Blade that I would never have had the nerve to try on the Ducati.

Re-worked suspension, full titanium system etc etc has improved the bike further and even when I am really pushing it there is still ooomph left. The next mods will improve it further as I will be able to stop and slow down quicker, which means I can leave braking even later.

The sound of a bike can often give a false impression of speed. Even with the baffle out my blade is quieter than an R1 and considerably quieter than my old Ducati, but even though I had thought I was riding faster on those two bikes I was actually quicker on the Blade.

At the end of the day if you prefer the R1 or something else you can just change, it is after all your money and your choice.

I personally do not think the Blade is the best 1 litre bike, even though I love it, but I do think it is an excellent bike and at this stage in my life it is the right bike for me....especially as I haven't got the dosh for another MV :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

Oh YEAH!!! No wonder you want to go park it up at home!!! You want to keep it MINT!!!

It looks so gooooood!!!! I just... I just wanna LICK IT!!!! LOL

Sorry... Couldn't help myself... That is beautiful!!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Love that paint!

18. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Love the paintwork Oggy.Not seen a 2012+ TT livery yet.That or a black one would do me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. raphael

raphael Elite Member

that is gorgeous fella hope you get used to it soon enough

• Like Like x 1
  20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You RNLI then Oggy?

Might have to send you a friend request then.

1. Out of genuine appreciation.

And

2. I don't naturally float.

• Like Like x 2