New boy in trouble

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Boogylite, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Boogylite

Boogylite Active Member

Hi all,

I have had my blade for about 7 years now, and can't believe how much it still impresses me every time I time it out.

I have just come back from a trip to Germany, where I took her round the Nurburgring, which was great if a bit scarey. When I came back I decided to change the chain and sprockets as they were past their best.

All went swimmingly until I started her up and that's when I found out that I had not lined the water pump up as I had to move it to get the front chain cover off, sheering the end of the pump shaft off.:eek:

I have ordered a replacement pump, but now have a dilemma about the bit of metal floating about in the bottom of the engine. I've tried to fish it out with a magnet but no luck yet, and drained the oil out hoping it might get flushed out.

Should I drop the sump and get it out - lots of work to move the exhaust etc, or hope that it sits still?

I think I know the answer but thought I would throw it open for comments or other peoples experience:D

2. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Is it really worth half-arsing it?

Drop the sump.

3. jpsrepsol

jpsrepsol Active Member

Welcome and its best to take sump off dont want to risk more costly damage for the sake of few hours saved

4. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Try to fish a bit longer and get innovative with the fishing tools, a bit of persistence often works. But if all fails 'If in doubt do the right thing'
    Good luck,
    ,,Mike.

5. Andy

Andy Active Member

No brainer really, Not worth the consequences

Welcome to the forum btw

6. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, I'd drop the sump also as probably better in the long run

7. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

Hi and welcome:)
    I'd take sump off too,key wouldn't be anywhere near ignition until that bit of metal is accounted for.

8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I've got a tool which grabs things - also flexible so can get in pretty much most places.... Dunno what it's called but sure this would get it out. Maybe someone knows what it's called? Bet it's not expensive but could save you some time and effort.....

Looks like this

image.jpg
    image.jpg

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

+Another for sump off. Risk not worth it.

10. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Even if the got the broken bit out you need to check the other end being the oil pump if damaged you could end up with an even bigger problem. One cock up is excusable Boogyboy

11. Frost1

Frost1 Active Member

Sump off, need to be sure all bits come out. Welcome and good luck.

12. Boogylite

Boogylite Active Member

Thanks all for your thoughts - looks like I am in for a bit more work than I first anticipated. I am just going to try one more time at flushing it out/fishing around then it out with the spanners to get the sump off.

Cheers.

13. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Cassete gear cluster ?.....might be easier to pull the gear set out and fish around from there first

14. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

Hi and welcome!

15. Boogylite

Boogylite Active Member

Well,

It was the sump off that did it - even then it was well hidden at the bottom. Just got to put it all back together now. Snapped the exhaust clamp and three manifold studs have come out with the nuts - I just hope that's the end of it.

A couple of pictures of the mess I have made ...........

IMG_3896.jpg IMG_3888.jpg

16. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

It might not seem it right now after a couple of hours work but getting that out will give you peace of mind

17. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

I would be spitting chips, but at least you have the skills to sort it. Have a good think before you put it back together, you can maybe do something while its in bits that will save you in time.
    Mike.

18. Boogylite

Boogylite Active Member

Thanks Mike -I'm going to put the water pump back on before the sump goes on so that I can be sure it's lined up properly this time. I think everything else should be pretty straight forward, I will make sure everything is well lubed up as I noticed that some of the ally bits were showing signs of age and starting to fur slightly.