New R1 ??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Carl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I've just read a review of the new R1 in the Bike mag and it would appear they have dropped the price a couple of grand and added a couple of electronics free to boost sales, traction control and ABS. It has been received well and is deemed a good around package; however, the final comment was “A BLADE IS ISN’T”

2. Givover

Givover God Like

It isn't but would still be a top bike .At this level every bike would only be a pipe dream even 15 years ago.

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw at the Bike show that they'd bombed the price of it.

I wasn't overly impressed at the time as they'd bumped the price up so much when VAT changed. So it wasn't so much a hidden price rise as a hidden price drop.

4. Barmbyblade

Barmbyblade Active Member

Are you tempted Carl??

5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

God no!!! My brother has an 07 R1 and I have to say when I get off my blade and on to his bike a cant wait to get my own bike back. I can’t put my finger on it but I just don’t like the R1 at all. It’s noteworthy however, that he feels the same about his R1

Each to their own, but not for me!

6. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

the reverse crank does sound nice tho......almost like a v twin.

7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Obviously my Brothers is not a cross crank, but he has a set of straight through pipe that do your head in when you follow him?

Yes I think the cross crank sounds nice, I used to have a TL1000RR now that V twin sounded great when you wind in up!

8. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

i used to shut the throttle from fully open on my 748 with full race spec termis (off whithams ex wsb) just to listen.........neil diamond sang about 'em.......'it's a beautiful noise'........lol

9. rocket

rocket Active Member

used to do the same on my old rsv tuono with akro system. sounds like thunder but damn lovely!

10. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

I like the R1's from a few feet away but up close the finish on them
    Is terrible, gaps in panels and the welds are poor looking.

I would have one but it'd have to be a mega deal! I remember test riding the 08 model before testing my K8 Gix complete different ball game for me.

I felt pirched in top of it sliding about just uncomfortable exactly as I felt when I tested the recently replaced ZX10 like I was holding on and almost a passenger on the bike not the pilot!

If u were going from a blade to yam I think you'd constantly be comparing the lack of quality!

Still an amazing machine and I'd be more than happy to own one!