Newjobophobia

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BoroRich, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Anyone else experienced this? As the advert on the telly says.

I've been in my current job for 10 years and I've recently started to get to the point where I'm f*cked off with it and fancy a new start. Only problem is that, after being here for this length of time it feels like a comfy old pair of shoes and the idea of launching into the jobs market again is pretty daunting.

What about the rest of you? Have any of you changed job much / been there so long that the weeds are growing around you??

2. Givover

Givover God Like

If i got an offer today i would be off and take it from there .

3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Well I've been put forward for the interview so we'll see how it goes from there.

4. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I joined the Navy at 16 and after 12 years left after being injured, I was happy and did not want to leave but had no choice.

I was thrown into contracting as it was the only way to gain the same income as I was getting in the forces, with a wife and three kids I had little choice about taking a lower paid job.

Since leaving I have had 4 jobs 1.5 years (contract), 1.5 years (contract), 1 year (permi HATED IT!!) and current 6 months back to contract and to be honest I feel happier moving jobs, new people, new challanges, improved skills and seeing how different companys work also you can get a better pay rise moving than relying on a reward for your hard work from your employer (in my case).

I found the permi job thought they could treat you as they wished due to the 'current economic crisis' and expected you to go above and beyond the call of duty as they slowly chipped away at what benifits you did have.

Good luck with the interview

Just want to add does anyone else hate that bloody jobsite advert !!!

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. I spent 17 years in my first job and got quite good at it. Then it was boring and I felt undervalued and too heavily 'relied' upon. So I quit. Walked away, spent 18 months doing casual contract security work for a large financial organisation off and on with no future in it but twice as much dosh as I'd ever seen. When I finally decided I couldn't spend the rest of my working life doing that, I found the job I'm doing now. I've been doing it for 17 years and I've got quite good at it. Now it's boring and I feel undervalued and too heavily 'relied' upon...

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

lol.gif

7. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I've been doing my job now for 15 years and ait varies greatly from week to week, on top of this I move location without too much choice every 2-3 years and have to drag my wife around with me which buggers up her career. For the most part I enjoy my job but I've just been offered £80,000 redundancy but wontt be made compulsary redundant but I'm contemplating a new career. Just not sure if I want to jump ship or continue as I am good at what I do and have promoted quick, I also doubt I'll find anything that will give me the enjoyment, mates and social life that I have in the Army.

Thinking of throwing my CV out there just to see what options I have in Engineering management type roles.

8. phantom

phantom Active Member

10 years at the same job before I changed last year.best thing I did
    As the old job started to stress me out as seeing I was there so long
    The floor managers thought that gave them the green light to treat
    Me like [email protected] new job is one that doesnt come home with me
    So no more stress.

9. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Seems to be a bit of a theme going on here. A ten year itch so to speak.

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

been in the same job for 19 years. Right from collage. Sometimes I love the job, other times I have the Job.

I would look at doing something different one day. unsure what

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You're probably about right Rich. I'm pretty loyal. I'm not daft and can get my head around most technical tasks and I'm relatively easy going in the work place. Generally it means that those in higher office feel comfortable leaving just a little bit more each day in the intray in the knowledge that I'll probably take up the slack for the general good. But you're also right in that lack of reward, even, on occasion, a pat on the shoulder and a growing implication of the 'lucky you've got a job' excuse wears you down eventually.

An Awwwwwww moment here that illustrates the moment. I don't make too big a thing about my role in the company's success. My boss is a 'goto' kind of person. He knows everybody and every bit of kit in the industry. If you're after a particular piece of equipment he can either lay his hands on it or hook you up with someone whose got one for sale. My role is more when people come to him with a problem that needs sorting to come up with the solution and implement it. So different strokes for different folks. Towards the end of last year I did a particular job that ended in a relatively high profile exhibition and when I finished, he looked at it and said "That looks good. You've done a good job there."

I commented to his wife that with my hand on my heart, that was the first time ever that I'd heard him say that. He turned on me and said "So you want praise for doing what I pay you for now then".

In fairness, what he said may have been in jest. What I heard wasn't.

It's been 17 years now...

12. explorer

explorer Member

I changed 3 years ago, its good loads of free time, its called retirement :D

• Like Like x 3
  13. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I think that's partly the problem, Ken. We've got 15 people in our office and so many of them are utter dead wood. Through maternity leave, semi-retirement and other things there are basically 6 of us who work full time and one of them is a complete waste of space. However others get paid totally out of line with what they bring to the table and seem to do whatever they want pretty much without consequence. When I first came to work here they were chucking pay rises at me and now the deluge has turned to a trickle and as you say I feel completely undervalued. I've actually got to the stage where I want that satisfying feeling of walking in here and handing my notice in just to see the look on their faces as they realise that the youngest bloke they've got has just walked.

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm fully aware there are economic restrictions and I'm also aware that man management is not a simple task but I'm just getting fed up really. I'm not a whipping boy, I don't get abused, but I'm just thinking more and more regularly, 'Hang on. I've been stitched up there'.

'There's no more money.' 'You can't take that time off.' It's like snow that's just beginning to settle really.

15. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. Like snow that's beginning to settle. An inexorable, ever-increasing layer of crap that I'm just not prepared to put up with anymore.

16. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Same job 28 years too much to lose now if I left ,
    But some days I wake and think fu*k this ,
    Especially at Xmas tight bas**rds .

#16 Barney1, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  17. Givover

Givover God Like

What do you do for your crust Rich?

18. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I have spent my whole career in the same industry but with only four companies have worked for the same company for the last 15 years, 16 in March, in various job functions whilst climbing the greasy pole, then decided I didn’t like heights so decided to elect to climb back down the pole a bit. As the longest serving employee I tend to be the “ask him, he will know”. Would I move company, if the salary increase was significant to take the risk I would, would I leave or take redundancy, in a heartbeat, I am ready to retire and as soon as I can I will. Five years maximum and counting the days down.

19. Givover

Givover God Like

Since I posted this morning I had a visit from an MD of a scaffolding contractor who is pricing the work on my project .We went through the drawings and after that had a brew and got talking and he was saying that he sees his future in building a few houses and he says that he has some land in Warrington for a couple of Bungalows so I just threw a one liner in that if he needs a site manager to give me a call .Its not something I would not usually consider but to build a couple of houses or Bungalows for a small outfit would be so easy I could walk it and I would bet the money would not be that much different either and whilst not a rosy future ahead the way I feel which is similar to Ken I would do it just to get out of the rut I am in .

20. Si.

Si. God Like

Mate, i've been crimping since i left school at 15…

That's 27 years of doing the same thing. I have women coming in, talking shite and wanting me to be Jesus Christ, and perform miracles…. I so want to say "you can't polish a turd" on many occasions… do you know how hard that is?

Last week, some bint was going on and on and on and on about where she shops, what brand her make up is , how she prefer louboutins over Jimmy Fucking Choo, the whole caboodle. She came in with a pic from the internet of a beautiful mid 30's chick with fab hair, and said "i want that".. she resembled Hattie Jaques, but slightly weightier.
    After hearing her go on, and on, and on, and on… i simply said….

"i'm not interested unless it has an engine".

It pays to work for yourself sometimes. :D