not impressed with road tax

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by r1monkey, Mar 1, 2015.

1. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

well i taxed the bike online on friday after having it sorned for a couple of months.
    It was lovely day saturday and would have been really nice to go out on the bike but i couldn't use the bike on the road until sunday the 1st due to the crap tax laws.
    Now i don't know what the weather has been like for the rest of the uk but it has been sleeting sideways here most of the day and the next week looks absolutely pants too.
    I am probably like most people on here ,and do not use my bike if the weather is crap. So bearing this in mind that most bikes will see maybe 60 days of actual riding over the summer, i think that road tax on my bikes (i have 4 road bikes and although i am not a bad rider , riding all four at once is beyond even my skill level) is a total rip off.
    Rant over .

2. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

yeah agree, but don't shout to much or they will heap on fuel, that will screw me in my car :( although we already pay so much tax on fuel we shouldn't need to pay road tax at all ;)

3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Nice n Sunny in Cheshire this morning so had a quick Waz in to North Wales for the first ride of the Raod Bike since last October

• Like Like x 1
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Here we go, same old end result...
    So you pay tax on your earnings, tax when you spend it, you're taxed on the interest on your savings, you pay your council tax, insurance tax, fuel tax, road tax etc. So basically you're working for free!!! (depending on your view)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Here we go, same old end result...
    So you pay tax on your earnings, tax when you spend it, you're taxed on the interest on your savings, you pay your council tax, insurance tax, fuel tax, road tax etc. So basically you're working for free!!! (depending on your view)

6. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Taking mine of SORN this week, enough rain yesterday to clean the roads, and forecast for the coming weekend looking good at 15c. Totally agree with you on the tax issue, but we have been waiting months for a change in the weather, get out and enjoy

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Don't complain too loudly. You can guarantee that if they change it we will be worse off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Nice to think that these latest diesels can spew out heavy particulates that really do cause breathing issues/asthma etc and do not incur any rfl due to their emissions being under 100gms, but even the lowest emitting fuel efficient bike pays at least £17 and up to £80 for 600cc and over.

How the EU and national governments have been mugged by the diesel argument is beyond me, they are still as dirty as someone walking past and having a dump on your driveway IMO.

9. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

tell me about it .. i am a truck mechanic.. 30 years of inhaling asbestos and diesel fumes ,i 'm surprised i am still here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I thought all newer diesels had particulate filters,is the problem not with the older ones that are still running.

11. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

the new euro 6 trucks have the equivalent of a chemical plant bolted into the exhaust system to remove soot and poisonous gasses . we had one go tits up this week due to driver error, £8000 for a new one !!!