Notice Of Intending Prosecution

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by t0m541, Apr 22, 2016.

1. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Got home from work this afternoon to find the postman had delivered a handwritten brown envelope.
    Full of curiosity I opened it, to find the form named in the thread title.

I scanned down the the detail of offence bit, to find that it wasn't me they are after.

It seems that the numpty I sold my old Suzuki bike to 20 days ago has been a naughty boy last Sunday 17th.
    Dangerous driving and failing to stop for a Police officer.
    Oh Dear !!!

The bit thats twisting my melon is, the fact that I've been sent the NiP.
    I sent the log book off the day I sold the bike and received the usual confirmation letter from the DVLA on the 12th.
    So obviously it's on record that I'm officially no longer the owner or keeper, yet I've got the hassle of filling in the damn form to prove I wasn't the rider on that day.
    Though the fact that I was 60 odd miles away at the time driving a tatty old Transit with witnesses should dent any prosecution case.

So...should I fill in the form, bearing in mind I can't remember the guys name though I have his full address from the Gumtree messages.
    Or just ignore it as the Police should actually try asking the DVLA who the registered owner was at the time and get their facts straight..

2. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Unfortunately you'll have to complete it as it is a lawful requirement.

3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Can take a few weeks for the whole v5 process to take place and date of offence me guy have been before it was fully processed! Fill in the form as stated it is a legal requirement whether driving or not

4. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Yeah, I was thinking that, I might just take the form in personally so I can get an apology for distress and anxiety caused from the PC named on the form.

5. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

I'm guessing the the new owner won't be bothering with taking out insurance on the bike now, and it won't have had any tax on it as I had it on a SORN when I sold it to him.

6. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Tax doesn't transfer any more so he should have taxed it that day to ride legally

7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

but it's not the pc's fault is it,they can only go off whats on the database.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

He didn't strike me as someone who thought much about legalities.
    He asked me to leave my insurance on it as he couldn't afford to get it insured, I told him I'd cancelled it when I was filling in the V5 in his house and he knew it wasn't taxed.

9. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

What a cheeky beggar! You leave it insured and he has a prang and you get stung for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

I've just Google mapped the Police station where the form needs to go, I'll be passing there Monday as it happens, so I'll pop in and take along my DVLA confirmation letter, they can still apologise.
    When I moved house and sent the V5's off for all my bikes and van, they came back within 12 days, and to have received a letter dated 10 days after the sale, someone must have noted the change and input the details into the system.
    The PC will have gone off the PNC looking for a quick bust, rather than getting the facts first.

11. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Wasn't a prang, was, according to the NiP, dangerous driving, careless driving, speeding and failing to stop

12. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Sound like he got a little excited with his purchase.

Similar thing happened to me when I sold the last car I ever owned back in 2006. Was an Audi A4 TDI and the guy who bought it got snapped doing 130mph on a dual carriageway about 2 days after I sold it.

Give them all the info you have - they won't be pursuing you.

13. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

From his messages the day after he bought it he was getting excited then, reckoned he broke the indicators wheelying it...poor old bus
    I get the feeling that when they get hold of him the bike will be heading for the crusher, no tax no insurance..it'll probably get taken off him

14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Sounds like he's a tw@t to me...doesn't bother registering it in his name etc & then you get the grief.....I think him saying he couldn't afford the insurance says it all! Hopefully he'll be strapped to it when they put it in the crusher.....o_O

• Like Like x 2
  15. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

I sent the V5 off myself, so it's in his name for sure, I'll give the Police his mobile number if they want it :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Have you a copy of any receipt with the date and time of sale to him ?

I always get one of these as its an extra "From this point in time it's not my bike" message

Was he seriously stupid / thick / a chancer to think you would let the insurance run with him riding it ?

17. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

I think you may have given this guy too much credit. Doubt there was any 'thinking' going on at all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Usually I do a "Sold as seen" kind of receipt, but I didn't this time, but as the V5 was signed and posted the same day and the offence took place over 2 weeks later, I reckon I have a cast iron case of "it wasn't me officer" ;)
    As for the insurance, I never cancelled it as the brokers, read "robbin barstewerds" wanted more than half of what the policy originally cost to just to cancel it and I had 6 months left on the policy..

19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You need to cancel your insurance even tho it will cost you because it will continue to show on the system as being insured to you despite change of ownership. If this clown goes out & has an accident they may try & claim off you....there was a proven case not long ago where this happened!

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

This guy that's got your bike sounds like a right idiot,you need to get your insurance cancelled fast or transferred to another bike or you risk losing a lot more than the cancellation fee.

• Agree Agree x 1