Notify your insurance.....?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Repsol Rob, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Had a discussion with some lads in the pub last night, should you notify your insurance when you have a aftermarket exhaust fitted?
    i said in my case bike was brand new with full akropovic system fitted by dealer....? i did nt say anything but they reckon i should have....
    any of you guys done the same....?

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Nope. not declared it. may do when its up for renewal

3. Caz

Caz Active Member

I'm with Carole Nash and they said that unless it increases the bhp they dont need to be notified. Always worth letting them know IMO but you'll have to expect some may hike your premium up and some may not insure you at all in my experience!

4. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

The very reason why i did nt mention it, ! lol....its just an excuse to make you cough up more.....

5. Moily

Moily Active Member

It also depends on if you want to claim for it in the event of a loss, otherwise they will only pay out for the cost of the standard bike (or rather, their interpretation of its current market value which as we all know bears little resemblance to the real value!)

6. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Yes. Normally no extra premium for mods which increase power by up to 5% or something like that.

7. Si.

Si. God Like

yes... its upto 7bhp.

someone i know had aftermarket cans on his speed triple. He went into the back of someone and also hit a pedestrian ( not that fast). The insurance assessor noted is cans had "not for road use" and no bs stamp etc....

They have refused to pay out and is getting sued from the 2 parties.... he looks as though he will lose his house.

Declare it chaps, it shouldn't cost anymore, but if it did, it's still cheaper than losing everything... this country is litigation central these days, it aint worth it. Insurance companies will do anything not to pay out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bod

bod Active Member

i declared everythin on my old gixer . power commander micron exhaust etc had to send photos in to show everything . i havent bothered with the blade yet as i transfered the insurance but i probably will when it comes up for renewal just to be on the safe side .

9. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

It really makes you think this.
    I've recently fitted a PCV and an exhaust system to mine and the insurance hadn't even crossed my mind! :jaw:

10. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Well said

11. Si.

Si. God Like

I feel sorry for the bloke...he's going to lose everything. It has come to the point that he looks as though he will split up with his missus too, as they keep arguing and the solicitors bills are adding up from the 2 parties.

I think it's the solicitors that are raping him for what they can get their clients and themselves, but it does show that if you have any mods, declare them. it simply isn't worth it.

12. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Bloody Americans and their claim society is there anything of there's that we won't adopt over here!!

13. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

just the exhaust as I'm not sure how legal a power commander is

14. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

You should notify your insurer of any change to your circumstances or the vehicle insured. These material facts must be disclosed and you as the policy holder have a duty to declare them.

Bad case scenario is that the insurer refuses to pay out on a claim due to undisclosed facts. Worst case scenario is you being uninsured because your insurance is void with undeclared modifications.

It really is silly not to declare a slip on, as nearly all insurers aren't bothered unless it hikes the power. But you still have to declare it!

15. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

What do you mean by how legal it is?

16. Si.

Si. God Like

Unfortunately, a power commander is classed as a modification. Anything other than standard fitment at the time of manufacture is classed as a modification, unless it's a special edition etc with all modifications included, but the insurers usually have that model listed.
    A power commander is 100% legal, but is classed as a modification. Tell the insurers about it, it shouldn't affect the premium. If it does, swop the insurer, as loads do not count an end can and power commander as an extra.

17. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

I wrote off my cb1000r and it had an aftermarket exhaust, if I had declared it or not would not have mattered cos the recovery vehicle took it back to my home and the engineer did not come to inspect it for 5 days so you would have time to fit the original if the worst came to the worst, having said all that I do declare cos I sleep better and all that but no big deal if you didn't.

18. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

If you give the insurance company a way out of any claim they will take it, si. 's thread should be taken as hine sight for all of us, car and bike!(is that how you spell it?) I have a very good friend thats a Doctor and he once told me that to badly injure someone the pay out would be more than a death, Don't right your financial future off by trying to save a little now its not worth it!!!!

19. Givover

Givover God Like

I declared my paint job and Carole Nash whacked me for £60.00

20. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

It says on the Poer Commander box " FOR TRACK USE ONLY " so i wasn't sure how my insurance would feel about it