Oh Dear! Oh Deer!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by HRCTrev09, Mar 20, 2013.

1. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I read a interesting article in MCN last week about Deer, it went on about how deer have become a real threat!!... On our roads that the toll of deer involved annually in vehicle collisions in the UK is estimated to lie between 42,000 to 74,000 and such deer related RTAs result in over 450 human injuries and several human fatalities every year.

UK population is 1.5 million head of deer. Now that's a shit load of Kamikaze Feckin Bambi's on a road near you!!!...:eek:

But in all seriousness not just for our Scottish Tour but any rural blast anywhere in the country! The reason I've done this post is that in the last 12 months there has been 4 incidents with deer a my work alone!
    I had a near miss on the Glen Devon road (part of our tour route), a deer wrote off one of our managers car in Edinburgh area, a colleague's husbands car suffered severe damage again on the Glen Devon road in the early hours of the morning he works at Glen Eagles Hotel and a deer run into the side of one of our drivers car the impact spun the deer round and it's hooves left big dents the back door! the car was only 2 weeks old that happened on the A92 Dunfermline to Kirkcaldy road! :(

So just be mindful of this when the weather does get warmer guys :) Be safe out there!!!...

But for more information and black spot maps check out deer collisions project

#1 HRCTrev09, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

3. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

sadly a biker was killed on a road very close to me by a dear last year, very tragic, he wasnt doing stupid speeds but hitting an animal of there size at any speed will have a nasty outcome

4. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

And christ can they do damage.Lets hope no-one hits any in the future.Ashdown forest springs to mind down here.

5. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

This is a good thread, I personally have had 2 incidents with bambi and his brothers.
    one was them dashing out in the distance but the other was too close for my liking...hard braking and the works.
    this was a fair few months ago, but im still wary on my regular commute as I go past the spot.
    It does seem that any area with large fields or open areas are my experiences, they just bolt across the road from nowhere causing you to shit your pants and swear simultaneously!
    God knows if I/we would stay on if we made contact, I hope I never find .

be careful people, lets enjoy summer in one piece!

6. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Reminds me of my mishap last year when I hit two at the same time. I live in one of the worst, if not worst areas for deer accidents. They are talking about the need for large scale culling. Sad in some ways but they are becoming a nuisance. Eating the plants in my front garden is one thing, but trashing my bike......that's serious.

This time of year they seem extra stupid, hate the way they often cross in front of you then suddenly turn back around and go back in the opposite direction. Just hope I never hit a stag, they are just too big to hit

7. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

well rather than banning fox hunting they should have just changed from fox to Deer, I had a mate in an RTA with one years ago, so nothing New though :-(
    just a hell of a lot more around these days due to animal rights crap no doubt?
    lets get culling asap I say :)

8. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

This is a bad time of year for the girls as they're about to drop and they can be unpredictable and aggressive. Around November it's the boys' turn to exhibit the same behaviour as they have romance on their mind. I live near Richmond Park and the deer normally run from dogs but these two times of year the deer stand and stomp the dogs and every year a few dogs cop it.

9. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

I have away been involved with shooting from a very young age, however it is harder now than ever to get shooting, even vermin for free. iv had a few of my childhood shooting area taken from me because " although i do a excellent job mr x will pay £££££ to shoot on here" usually a year or so latter i get a phone call please come back mr x is keeping on top of the fox problem.... sorry i digressed.

whenever deer are involved people( estate managers) want to charge silly amount for people to stalk them.... times get hard a people wont pay and the issue increase.
    the opportunity to stalk deer is so limited its unreal, even when you want to, willing to, and qualified to ( yes allot of places need you to be qualified).... know body want you to!!! unless you willing to pay quiet a big chunk.

10. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Your right to bring this to the front HRCTrev a poignant reminder for our Scotland trip that we could well encounter deer on the move round those parts, another reason deer tend to move around is to gain higher ground mainly that is to escape the midges! They will be making an appearance come April through to October making it insufferable for the beasties, 'and us'

11. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I warning about Deer is already in the 'Scotland trip' tour guide to be emailed / handed out nearer the time.

One thing i was told was that you normally get 2 Deer running out on the road, so you miss the first and think 'that was lucky' only to then hit Bambi's mate sprinting after first

Will read the links for advice on how to predict / avoid them

12. stuart_g

stuart_g Active Member

I've had an experience with a deer. Me and a mate had just left a Kit car gathering in our Lotus 7 style cars when a deer jumped out of the hedge row between us and I hit it square on the drivers side front wheel. The contents of it's stomach were emptied down the side of my car, loads of green grassy sludge that stunk...done loads of damage to the car and killed the deer instantly. When I saw it I ducked as I had visions of it coming over the bonnet and in to me as my car just had a fly screen, no windscreen. Very scary experience and I'd hate to hit one on a bike. I have often thought of that as I've ridden through Thetford Forrest on the way back from a run out. I hope no one has to go through that.

13. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

Hey guys

At work this mornin I heard of another incident that happened last week to a relative of one of the women I work with (bare in mind our work force is only 25 strong!)
    Her daughter in-law hit a deer, she had her baby in the front seat of the car, thinking the deer was dead she decided to put the deer in the backseat and drive to the police station! but the deer was only knock out!:eek: It deer came too and freaked the FARK out! So she pulled over and her and the baby fled the car! The police did removed the deer and called a vet! :D She was billed £85 by the police, hit with the vet bills and lost her no claims bonus! Now that what I call a bad day!!!..:eek:

The moral of the story? It's not wise to have a mad cow and a concussed deer in the same vehicle :D

I did refrained for any blonde jokes in fear that Ash would cut my brake lines on our trip ;):D

#13 HRCTrev09, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  14. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Hi,
    I hit a deer June 2011 in Essex between finchingfield and Haverhill.
    I was riding lets say very fast on a CB 1300, the impact was so hard it bent the front brake lever
    around my hand. I see it coming but it was the trees or deer.
    I held the handle bars as hard as I could and put my head down on the tank.
    I hit the deer in the belly across the front of the bike, my mate said the back wheel come over 12" in the air and the bike jumped side way.
    But I stayed on the bike which was luck & I like to think a bit of skill from the years of motocross and enduros I've done.
    The things that helped me that day was,
    1/ speed!!
    2/ The size of the bike I was on.
    3/ ABS fitted to the bike, I never braked but the front brake lever got bent around my hand!!
    4/ I spent years falling of off road bikes and have got used of crashing so never panicked to much lol.
    5/ The Blade was at home, not sure I would have been so lucky if I was riding a sports bike.

The Deer died but done 5k worth of damage to my bike, and that was without me falling off!!

I know I am very lucky to be here but I think the grim reaper was looking the other way that day.