Ohlins FG43 road and track forks fitting help

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by viper_biker, Jan 26, 2011.

1. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

I got these forks for my RR6 on Saturday and so far can't seem to get them spaced properly. I'll be running a standard wheel for now (PVM's are off for a few months).

What I have is the forks (already fitted), stock wheel, axle and spacers, the Ohlins pinch bolt and an end cap for the fork bottom. I can't find the Ohlins fitting manual online anywhere so can someone tell me which spacer is to go where, how long the spacers need to be and the torque settings to tighten it up to.

I'm also having the problem that when the pinch bolt is being tightened, it's pulling the axle though the fork bottom to face against the wheel spacer.

2. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

are you sure your running the correct yokes to match the forks? 2 sets ive fitted have needed new yokes, one ran with attack racing ones and the other with harris yokes.

3. viper_biker

Running standard yokes too.

4. viper_biker

Spoke with Ohlins today, turns out I'm missing a spacer. All will be sorted soon.

5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Found your thread now...lol

The only data I've ever found for the FG43's is this:-

http://www.oehlins.ch/data/120833633007282-04AR&TFG43.pdf

As they seem to supply the FG43's for a number of bikes you would have to take data from one bike/fork to another, the stock/OEM forks have top out springs as do the FG43's only depending on what top out spring are fitted to the Ohlins will determine how they sit, if you take a measurement from the lower yoke to the center of the spindle on the OEM forks be sure to pull them down to fully extend them this will give you a TOPPED out measurement that you can transfer to the FG's when you fit them, if the top out springs are heavy on the FG's they may well sit topped out. I find with superbike valves etc they often are topped out when sitting free in the air as most race r and t forks are ime, when I fit them I also take a measurement of them static to get an idea of where you are once the FG's are fitted, its hard to set the geom the same from one set of forks to another, racers always used to say that the RR7 does not like to run any other setting other than flat, they say that if you raise or lower the front it can feel vauge, I tried a number of setting with my 329's and on the road tested both extreems and found I would not gain or loose much at all so I run the bike flat. Out of interest do you know what setting you run compared with OEM, the problem with Geom is its a minefield of info in an ever changing enviroment in other words there never seems to be a recommended setting..

[​IMG]