Oil Filter on 2007 blade

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Lock, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Just ordered up an oil filter from Honda Bournemouth (15% discount this weekend :no: !)

Didn't realise that on the 2007 model there are two types of engines? They said from the engine number mine was the latter one and therefore has the same filter as the 2008. Fingers crossed i get the right bit. Anyone know what changes they made in the 2007 engine?

Other odd thing, and Oil filter was £11.96, but an oil filter with removal tool was £10.56 - you can guess what i went for!

Just got to get some more oil now. Got 3L of Mobil1 Racing 4t fully syn, but will need a little more!

2. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

The first 1000rr was introduced from 04-07, the 06-07 had over 200 improvements over the earlier models as it was deemed too bland. The changes were on bodywork,engine,chassis etc: cant see what the differences were on the oil filter as I have a 04 and 07 and still takes the same filter as the carbed blades as well. Even the camchain from the carbed models will fit on the litre blades.
    Mobil Racing oil does what it says on the tin, a road bike will never reach the optimum temperature for the oil to be effective those who put hi-tec stuff most ended up with clutch slip. Semi is the way to go bud.

3. ray

ray Well-Known Member

I always have a semi on my Blade 

4. Givover

Givover God Like

Semi 'Rules' Unless you have just pulled a top bird ,Then not quite what you would be looking for.

5. Devil

Devil Active Member

Just completed an Oil change on my 07 with new Oil Filter. I spoke to a Castrol engineer as lucky enough to have a cousin who works at the Major Pangbourne Castrol GTX test centre. The guy explained to me all about the reasons behind Fully and Semi Synthetic Oil and to be honest it seemed to me that there was virtually no difference in running either in the Blade apart from temperatures and long or short term wear depending on semi/fully synthetic oil. I put Fully Synthetic Castrol GTX Power1 Racing Oil in my Blade and she took approx 3.2-3.4 Ltrs of Oil.

Before i did this though i did speak to 3 guys, two from two different Honda dealers and a guy from PDQ in Maidenhead. All three said to put fully synthetic in and that they have had no problems with Blades having clutch slip. The bike that does tend to suffer clutch slip with fully synthetic oil in it is the R1, which they all seemed to agree with.
    Since the Oil change was 2000miles over due the improvement is massive, the bike is so much more responsive and accelerates alot better with the pull I thought it was lacking. But hey guys do what you feel is right, I always do my homework as have been caught short before by taking one persons knowledge on what is best.

Hope you get the same benefits as I did with my Oil change Lock. :)

6. Lock

Lock Active Member

Had fully synthetic in my 600rr and tuono without any probs, so as i had 3L left might as well just get a 1L and that's it job done. Good to hear you've used it in the blade with no probs, reassuring!

The oil filter looks like it got superseded on the 2007. Honda Bournemouth asked me for engine number as they said that there was a changeover in 2007 and that mine was indeed the revised one. Well fingers crossed its right! With 15% off there this weekend and free delivery (for orders over £20) well worth it - got some front pads as well, so the blade is getting treated!

Lets hope the oil change makes a difference. Not really sure what the interval is (should really check) but done 4000 miles since last change. Will probably run it until the end of the season (another 1000-1500 miles) and then do the change over the winter.

Anyone got views on mixing 15w 50 and 10w 40? Got some Motul 5100 10w 40 left overs as well, so if i could use that would save buying a 1L mobil!

7. Devil

Devil Active Member

I get the Blade serviced every 4000 miles bud and make sure that I always get Castrol GTX Power1 Racing put in her. Not sure on the mobil stuff bud. You should have no probs. Good luck.