Out of the mouth of babes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

I had a disturbing conversation with my youngest son this afternoon. Without going into detail he asked my advice on a dilemma he was having with his girlfriend.

I listened like all fathers do and responded “honestly is the best policy, unless you want to be looking over your shoulder” to which his wisdom beyond age reply was “ You reckon dad, you made one stupid idiotic mistake in over twenty years of marriage and had a one night stand right….and you, you idiot, decided to be honest and tell my mum the truth….so…..that being honest cost us, you getting a divorce, ripping the family apart and years of spite between you and my mum that Daniel (his brother )and I have to live with, I think you should have choked on it and said nothing, you know what, I am going to keep my mouth shut and live with it”

What the hell could I say?

Whilst my own conscience couldn’t live with it, I hope to god his can and it doesn’t come a bite him in the arse later.

• Like Like x 5
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Player! ;)

3. Si.

Si. God Like

Your son has learned from you matey... Your a top dad for giving him that lesson....for wiseness comes with experience.

and, to whit, you should have kept your gob shut.

4. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Tell me about it Simon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Honesty isn't always the best policy, but like you would rather tell the truth.

However he has like Si mentioned learnt a lot from your experience however hard it may have been, which is credit to you

6. Andy

Andy Active Member

Agree with the other comments, sometimes it's best just to stack em & rack em !!!!!

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Strewth!! What a conversation to have! That is unique.
    Honesty clears your conscience, concealment doesn't.Yes it hurts everyone involved but you did the right thing Freedom.You held your hand up and said you did wrong.That takes more guts than getting found out.Some people cheat and cheat until they get found out.The buzz gets stronger.Risks get more daring.

I never got to have a conversation with my Dad over his infidelity.He chose to walk out and never come back.At least your lad can come to you and talk even though he disagrees with your decision.Being found out eventually will bite him in the arse.

• Like Like x 1