Passed my Class 1 HGV

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RichC, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RichC

RichC Active Member

It had been something I had wanted to do for a few years. I'm proper fed up with the Motor Trade and being stuck in a office with no bastard windows so I've done my Class 1. Three job offers already!!

So bring on the nights out, burger vans and dead prostitutes. ;)

Looking forward to hitting the roads do we have any truckers on here??

• Like Like x 10
  2. navvy10

navvy10 Well-Known Member

Well done Rich! My brother got his HGV1 and 2 licence and the money isn't too bad either so enjoy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. just_me _and _me _bike

Ive always fancied doing it, sick of being in an office with whinging women and back stabbers n brown noseing idiots!!!

Well done mate

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Did my class C a couple of years back during a bad time at work, not upgraded to C+E as it's now known.

How have you got job offers with no experience?

Well done on getting it - the rules change end this month meaning loaded wagon for test.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Well done matey :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

CONGRATS

I have no idea why But i've always wanted to get my HGV licence. Just so I may be able to consider myself a good driver/rider by being able to drive anything on the road.

Just glad I passed my car test long enough that I can drive uo to 7ton vans. 50cc scooters on my car licence., not that i wanted to and be able to tow stuff as I do

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Nice one. I always enjoyed allegedly driving trucks as I never had a truck license ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. RichC

RichC Active Member

Did my C in 2008 so I have initial CPC need to do 35 hours now (already have ADR but need to do refresher this counts as 7 hours).

I live near Immingham Docks so as you can imagine there is haulage company's everywhere. I will be driving frozen its a start gets me on the ladder and in five years time I can go for the transporters/tankers.

Rules change for weight but as of 2014 you can do your test in a auto aswell!

Got this job through bro in law.

9. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Nice one Rich.
    Can't beat a bit of trucking.
    CPC is a pi55 take though ain't it. I'm just up to date with mine. Licence just been renewed for the next five years.
    Enjoy it. May even have a dable myself again this winter :)

10. just_me _and _me _bike

They do automatic in trucks to?? Where do i sign up :p

11. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Congrats on passing mate
    Not got my HGV licence but work with them and just recently got a transport manager position at my place so will be doing alot of similar courses to yourself mate so if there's anything you struggle with ask me and if I don't know the answer I can prob find out pretty quick.

12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Well done Rich.
    Just remember that anything over a couple of miles to overtake another truck is taking the piss :D

14. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Well done Rich ... Yur a star

15. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Well done Rich.

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

When I was in my early 20's I used to go out on the odd night run with a mate of mine who drove Class 2 fixed beds.

I was amazed at the quality of some of the Hookers at some of the Truck Stops! :D

Didn't partake of course as at 23 'Pussey' was easily available and free, but even so I was well impressed!

#16 sinewave, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  17. rocket

rocket Active Member

nice one rich, my oldest brother been a trucker for about 25 years with the last 10 working out of southampton. would love to give it a go! enjoy the new job!

18. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I've had my C+E since 1999 when I was 19 (a bonus of being in the Forces) and have driven military trucks and fixed them for a living. I did do some agency driving to pay off my wedding and other debts for about a year when I was 23.

19. just_me _and _me _bike

So come on you truckers whats the pro's and con's of being a class 1 HGV driver these days??

And wot the wages like??

I know a tanker driver n his always slagging off the job, but cant be all bad if his still there???

Id like to know from people with experience as im thinking of doing mine, thanks in advance :)

20. Givover

Givover God Like

I did my class one about 22 years ago and really enjoyed the lessons and of course the 1st time pass.I did it because my old man was a driver and since a kid I was always with him in the school holidays and lived for it .I have never drove but always even now wish I could but with a job in Site Management the wages would be to low to make the switch " not that I am on that much more" anyhow pay would be very poor for the responsibility of say a 100.000 rig and load .I can't do a link but every question and answer a newbie or indeed old school can be found on Trucknet forum just sign up and off you go .There are some fantastic tales of 70s Middle East trucking inc Iran and Turkey also loads of books can be had from Nynehead books ( Roundoak publishing) .Please keep us informed on your progress good and bad.

• Like Like x 3