Pc advice

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JD, Oct 16, 2011.

1. JD

JD Active Member

As I was probably in Uniform when most of you were in liquid form I hope you will understand that I struggle to understand the complexities of Computers although I do try my best. The thing is, my current pc is nearing the end of its useful life and so a replacement needs to be found. I'm considering going over to a mac, probably a desktop, but am genuinely concerned about the transition in terms of will I be able to use my current software, will I have problems transferring my email account, can I use the external hard-drive I have which stores my vids, pics etc? Apologies if the question sounds a bit daft in places, remember my advanced years lol.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer me.

JD

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

These are the quarries i get every day in work mate .. 10 years ago there was some compatibility issues but when Apple switched to Intel processors it enabled them to also run windows on a separate partition or even run it virtually so issues are gone.

The latest OS for Mac being lion has a migration from Windows feature . On first boot the mac will ask of you want to transfer data from PC , Click yes . Either connect an ethernet cable between the 2 or if you have a solid wifi network then you can do it wirelessly . Click GO and it transfer all your media and documents . Unfortunately if you have purchased software then you will need an Apple version but most companies like Adobe etc will offer a switch licence to mac offer that saves you having to repurchase in full. Alternatively as said you can run windows on the machine just for running that software you need ..

Either purchase Office for mac or Apple's iWork ( lots cheaper and better for posters etc ) to open and use your office docs.

No anti virus needed at all !

Your External will plug right in , in some cases they can be formatted for windows only but that is easily re formatted .

Honestly mate with the new migration from windows feature it could not be easier for switchers and every customer i serve in work are now regulars and trying to convert everybody they know lol.

#2 dan.1moore1, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Worms and cans spring to mind here mate. LOL. The man to talk to is Dan on this particular subject. He's a Mac man at heart but you mustn't hold that against him.

Most software is a no go, I'm afraid but will have an equivalent across formats. There's also a price premium you'll need to accept with Apple kit. They are easy to use though and the operating system is, for the most part, more stable and less prone to malware attack.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Told you. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JD

JD Active Member

Dan, thanks for that info, exactly what I'm looking for, although I maybe struggle a bit with some of the terminology. Going to go to the Apple shop in Bluewater tomorrow if I get a chance to look at the options. Cheers to kpone (is it Ken?) also.

JD

6. Givover

Givover God Like

Dan is a Mac Man ?Oh ok then.

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

He's a Mac belt 1st Dan.

Yes, Jonny. It's Ken.

8. dan.1moore1

They will go through the new migration from windows feature . Its as easy as connecting the 2 machines and clicking go . It copies all your photo's , music , documents etc and puts them into the relevant folders and software .

• Like Like x 1
  9. dan.1moore1

Why , What do you want discount on mate ? lol

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

His flashing raincoat I expect.