Performance Bikes - the last issue, but not the end....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mattie660, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sad but true.
    I was watching one of the 44 Teeth videos and Alastair Fagan mentioned something about the end of Performance Bikes magazine, but did not elaborate on it - just a passing comment, and a quick google didn't reveal anything either.

Anyway this February 2019 issue is going to be the last stand alone copy of Performance Bikes - they will be moving to a section within the Practical Sportsbikes magazine, for the future.

Practical Sportsbikes it will have to be then I suppose...how sad is that .

The Last Issue...
    Performance Bikes last issue.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Glanced through this copy in the newsagents just yesterday. Will be a sad loss. Is often a good read with sections for the earlier bikes also. Practical Sportsbikes is also good, and may well be a good avenue to cater for both interests.

I wonder if there's too many motorcycling mags now, or whether online subscriptions has killed the publication? I cannot stand online mags. Nothing better than looking at pics on paper. Much easier to read on the john also!

• Like Like x 4
  3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I was a subscriber to PB for a few years but in October I rang up and cancelled. Incidentally my payments took me up to the final issue in February.

I got fed up with a variety of things... typos being one of them. I'm not a grammar Nazi but they do piss me off when you can find 1 in most articles.

My other bugbear was seeing lambchops turn up as a regular writer. I feel quite indifferent towards him as a person but he does make decent content for YouTube. Why would I pay for the magazine when I'm seeing the exact same thing on YouTube? It's true of quite a lot of the tests in the magazines, you've seen the review on YouTube sometimes weeks before the written word drops on the doormat.

YouTube is really good for motorcyclists. There's some really good content on there. In no particular order here are some of my faves:

Barongvongrumble
    44teeth
    Lamchopsrides
    Royal Jordanian
    The Missenden Flyer
    Bike World
    MCN
    Visordown

• Like Like x 2
  4. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Not bought a bike magazine in years, I used to buy Superbikes magazine. Warren Pole was one of the test rider's and also used to present that bike show on
    Menandmotors ......who remembers that??

I keep meaning to get back into bike mags, I normally get the quarterly MCN Sport magazine which really is a top quality publication.

I may pick up the final copy of PB magazine if it's the last one ever.....looks pretty good from the cover!

5. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I have bought this mag for the last 9 years ,only missed one ,still have them in my garage, but I have noticed that over the years that its got thinner with les content and contributors.I was going to stop getting it but if this is the last one I will buy it . Practical Sportsbike it is then ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Fast bikes years ago was a proper laugh....shakey.....Colin.....let's not forgot Ronnie and Gus Scott RIP ....always had time to chat and bikes were there life....I feel now sometimes the brand buys there loyalty...

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I subscribe to the weekly copy of MCN. Fairly good value on subscription. Good news, good sports write up, good mechanical tips, a lot of dribble from McPint, and good classifieds in the back!!;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Even MCN is getin thinner , seems to have a lot of advertising o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Michael neeves....Ducati news.....this weeks review tyres....there black and round and grip the ground......reader help is a laugh articles like I want to go round corners quicker or how to go round roundabouts......or the worst as they search for the best cafe and rate a bacon bap out of ten......or the best one is ride 5000 miles in your gortex to the local burger van......sport section is the best bit.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Only because it's off-season. Racing generally takes about 8 - 10 rear pages.

Lorenzo will get four of them soon enough after his first win in Round One - Qatar.:)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Sick of that ride 5000 miles , waste of ink n paper

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It is nice to have something to read - decent articles where you can learn something. Quality pictures and quality print that I can actually read !

It is nice to read magazines outside, in the summer. Go and sit outside with a mag....

• Like Like x 2
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bleedin' heck @Mattie660. It's not 'optimistic' it's psychic!!:);)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I was in two minds whether to put the optimistic or the straight laugh !

Hope he gets better anyway.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Not bought a bike mag for years. Used to have a subscription for Bike and Ride at various times but they all got a bit same-same. Did try reading them on a tablet as a free trial a couple of years ago but it wasn't the best experience having to scroll and zoom so binned that idea.

Ironically I was waiting for the wife the other week and I was stood next to to magazine rack, no top row titles before you ask, and I thought I would have a look to see what bike mags were there. Then I saw the prices and thought sod that that!

As for MCN, well lets just say I've had no use for that since they banned wrapping chips in old papers :p Still each to their own as apparently ot makes the world more interesting :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I dont think MCN is v good but its something to read with bikes in now and then i guess. Did MCN do the free bsb calender for this year?!? I seem to have missed it if they did :(
    I've had to go over the 2018 one with a black marker and change it all to 2019 dates it looks a right mess lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Blimey @Lozzy as a Northern Lass I thought you would have just reused the one from 2013!!! Arkwright will be turning in his reasonably priced coffin :D:D:D

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/weekday-tuesday-1?ext=1

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Talking of calenders, last year's Performance Bikes one was a cracker - each month a class picture of Rutter in action, and the different bikes went in order of how quickly they went round the Rutter test. It started with the Ducati Monster and finished with the V4 - comments from him like "so fast it is like a video game ...wheelies everywhere."

Then this year they had a crummy little calendar with one picture for two months - I suspected something was up then.

19. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

The workshop is a good one aswell

• Like Like x 1
  20. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

Who needs bike mags when we have so many keyboard tinternet farcebook experts, hey;)

Rob