Pink Floyds new album - The Endless River

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Having pre ordered this quite a while ago I was please it become available to down load earlier this week.

Being a long term Floyd fan I was looking forward to its release.

On first play yesterday, all be it in the car with constant interruptions by traffic reports and a constantly ringing telephone I was at a bit disappointed. It’s mainly instrumental and only one track having any singing in it, and Stephen Hawking babbling on about something or other in another. I picked up some melodies I sort of remember, from the Division Bell album I think, all be it reworked.

It has plenty of tracks including video's (and a book if you buy the physical album).

Any initial disappointment disappeared when listening to the Evrika (A), this is Gilmour at his finest and that alone was worth the £12.99. It’s a very haunting track that even in the car made the hairs on my arms stand up; it had a huge impact on me and without doubt made me think back over my life, both the good and the bad bits. There is also another track with the same name but with the a (B) that very similar but is not as powerful (to me anyway).

I ready need to give the rest of the album a prober uninterrupted listen at least a few times before making a firm judgement.....so that's at least a few hours of Saturdays ten hour flight taken care of. If I can also manage to get my head down for a good long nap as well the flight should pass without me getting quite so bored and irritable.

• Like Like x 4
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's just arrived here at work in it's vinyl form.

3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Scratched and warped?

Ahh those were the days. Buy record, admire sleeve, slide record out of sleeve, see if record was warped or scratched :D

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh dear god no. Not for me. For my boss. He's a vinyl freak. One of those who carps on continuously about the 'soul' of a vinyl recording and all the things you hear on it that you can't from a digital one.

Basically, all the shit the stylus bounces off as it goes past...

• Like Like x 2
  5. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

My all time favourite band! Been extremely lucky to have seen them twice!! Once at Maine Rd., Man City's ground and also at Earl's Court.
    Prefer their earlier stuff like Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here and of course the holy grail........Dark Side of the Moon :):):)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Si.

Si. God Like

WYWH is fantastic! Shine on...what a great tune..the guitar riff still gets my hairs on end. So does One of My Turns and Comfortably Numb from The Wall.

Have you heard Roger Waters, Amused to Death? Well worth a listen if you haven't.

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Watching Gilmour at one side of a dark stage playing the verse of 'Shine On'. At the chorus, a single spot lights up centre stage and David Crosby and Graham Nash harmonise the lyric made the hairs on my neck stand up.

8. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

Only place on my head I've still got hair.:D

9. DiscoDaveDanger

DiscoDaveDanger New Member

I too was initially disappointed. At the moment I'm putting that down to 2 things. 1, I haven't listened to it 100+ times like their other albums, therefore I'm not 100% comfortable with it yet, as I don't know it inside and out. And 2, the expectation. I wanted it to be an instant classic. I know the first time I heard The Wall, Darkside, WYWH, Relics and Division Bell, I had to listen to them again. I know I have to listen to Endless River again.

10. Black

Black Active Member

Bought two discs today, pink floyd and Foo Fighters. PF not getting a look in at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

I got the foo album in Tuesday and it is one hell of a album

12. Julian

Julian Active Member

have listened to Dark side and wywh a million times, amongst my fave albums of all time, have to confess I'm not so keen on momentary lapse, and really can't get into Division Bell at all, I'd imagine this album will be the same

13. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

The Endless River certainly has Division Bell connections. Not all of it but you can tell it is there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Freedom of choice

Interesting. I think Division Bell is one of their finest albums and listen to it more than anything.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Slim Ted

Slim Ted Active Member

Hey you out there in the cold.... I have listened to the new one several times now. I like it but...it's not exactly groundbreaking.
    It is however David Gilmour doing what he does best. Oh and the drummer doing ..er drumming. After spending the weekend being force fed X factor, I am more than happy to get to play this in the car away from it all.
    Do you still frequent the Marquis Freedom?

16. Freedom of choice

Sure do Ted. Do you want me to let you know next time I am bobbing in for a quick one?

17. Slim Ted

Slim Ted Active Member

Yes mate. I am in or around w/e most weeks.