Popping on over run

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by stevebetts, Oct 3, 2011.

1. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

I used to love the popping i got on the over run on my Yoshi fitted to my Busa.
    The Blade doesn't do it at all with an R77 fitted.
    Anyone know why?

2. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Maybe because the exhaust is fitted correctly (no leaks) and the fuelling is OK (no extra fuel to be combusted).

3. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Mine does it all the time and its actually really annoying. I suspect as JM1 says, its a good fit - mine is corroded on! Also the PC doesnt help the popping..

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, I would agree with JM1, your bike's set up too well, mate.

5. stevebetts

Doesn't sound right to me.
    If this was induced by leaks then it would mean extra air is responsible. I would surmise the scavenging is due to unburned fuel and not extra air.
    I am sure there is someone who can explain this scientifically.

6. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

there is NO popping....... so there is no extra air..

Also, do you have the baffle in..? Might be why

#6 zeepony, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

The popping is often caused but the Pulsed Air Induction System or (PAIR/SAS) its there to add air into the exhaust to help dilute exhaust gasses and burn of part burnt fuel to reduce emissions, the air may also help the cats to function correctly too, the air is fed into the system from the air box through a small one way reed valve on the head that enters the exhaust just after the exhaust valve, the air has NO effect on power as it enters the system after combustion but if blocked with the standard system you can trick the ECU to thinking it now need to lean off the mixture as its setup to run with it. The whole system is optimized for the area that is tested by governments if you like to meet Euro3 emission laws, this area is around 3,00rpm and known as the closed loop area of the rev range. When you have your bike dyno'd they need to block the system or the dyno reads the extra air and gives a false reading leading to a map that thinks the bike has to lean of an AFR resulting in a rich fuel map.! The popping that people get once they fit an aftermarket system is part burnt fuel and air being ignighted by the exhaust system, block off the air and the popping will stop or be drastically reduced, most people/dyno opps do not block the system as the extra work is not worth there time or people do not want to pay for the extra hours involved, you can block it or place a marble into the air feed pipe or even remove the whole lot and fit blanking plates to the reed valve covers on the rocker cover. It has nothing to do with O2 eliminators as some people think, O2 eliminators are to keep the ecu fixed in one place rather than keep trying to trim the AFR (air to fuel ratio) once a bike has had a powercommander fitted, if O2 eliminators are not fitted with a PC the ECU will keep trying to optimize the AFR to meet Euro3 regs in the closed loop zone. Hope that helps.. )

• Like Like x 1
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, what Arthur said.

9. arthurbikemad

Took me a while to type that....lol...me tea's cold now.. :(

10. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

What Arthur said ....lol

11. arthurbikemad

Yeah yeah, next time you can type it, and no Ctrl V neather, niver, whatever.. :S lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. stevebetts

No baffle.

13. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

My DRZ would pop like hell on de acceleration but soon as i removed the pair system it stopped nearly completely

14. stevebetts

Very informative Arthur, but it doesnt enlighten me as to why mine does not pop! Unless the PAIR system has been blocked or removed - but i doubt it. What is the easiest way to see if this is the case?

15. arthurbikemad

LOL no I know mate.. you will need to look at the air system and check if its active or not, most people who want the POP don't get it and others that do don,t..LOL people ask me all the time to stop it and I tell them "mate people would pay for that overrun" there is lots of info on the net on how to remove it so the guide may help you check to see what the score is, I am not going to guess how your riding style is but sometimes people can be too friendly with the motor and smooth throttle control can also result in less overrun, maybe a good thrashing is the answer.....maybe....?

Posted on my HTC Sensation with Tapatalk

16. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Its always the answer Arthur :)

• Like Like x 2